Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

15 year old with spondylolisthesis--really need help. surgery?

teenpain15tteenpain15 Posts: 3
edited 11/08/2015 - 11:13 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey guys, my name is Connor and I've been suffering from back and leg pain for 2 years. It started after I was tripped during a soccer game and fell on my left side of my lumbosacral area. Ever since then my life has been outlined by back pain. I have bilateral pars fractures at L5-S1 and grade 1 spondylolisthesis. My doctor said that it shifts and moves around in flexion when he took X-rays of my spine in different positions. I also have a bulging disc at L4.

Now, I don't know what to do. I really need your help. I greatly appreciate any and all help that you may have, and thank you for reading.

So, my symptoms:

I have burning in my lumbosacral area and leg from sitting too long. I can usually relieve it by stretching my hamstrings, hip flexors, lower back, and with a few pelvic tilts. When I stand too long, I begin to feel deep tingling and aching in my lumbosacral area (lower back and top of sacrum). I've stopped participating in gym, all sports, and do not run. Going on the elliptical machine hurts me and causing a deep burn in my lower back while I'm doing it and a persistent ache across my lower back afterwards.

Walking on the beach, on uneven surfaces or hills, etc. all hurt my back and produce a deep ache. When I bend forward, I feel an ache in my left side of my lower back.

In the morning my symptoms are usually minimal. My lower back just doesn't feel "right"--there's a tingle and weird feeling. As I progress through the day the pain gets worse with standing and especially sitting. Taking a hot shower really helps with the burning but not the aching. The burning comes from laying down too long or sitting, while the aching comes from activity.

At this point I feel depressed. I don't know what to do. My back pain has basically become my life. I can't be a kid, do sports, heck, I can't even get through a day without experiencing back pain. I've cried a lot about this and it has become such a big depression in my life.

I need your help. What can I do? What treatments are there?

I have some questions about surgery for this condition. Are spinal fusions a "fix" or a "cure"? Like, you tried all these conservative treatments and they haven;t cured your pain, so you undergo it? Or is it more of a "last-resort" option, when you just can't take the pain anymore, where it interferes with doing simple functions? Honestly my life has been a struggle and I feel so restricted and deprived of my teenage years, but is surgery advisable?

My pain isn't to the point where I'm bedridden--I can still go to school, walk, move, etc. It's just that I'm kept from doing the things I love. No gym, no running, no dancing, no good exercising. I can't lead the life I want--an active one where I can run, be fit, go to the gym and not have to worry about my back pain. Not to mention the pain. It drives me crazy. Sometimes it's very low, but other times its just a nagging ache, like a tootheache, that just reminds you of how miserable your life is. I really want to just fix all of this, end it, go back to normal. But is surgery the right answer? I don't know. I really need your help, please. What else can I do? Some kind words? Thank you :-(

You must be eighteen (18) years of age or over to use the Spine-health forum. If you are older than eighteen (18) years of age you may register with us. If you are between the ages ofthirteen (13) and eighteen (18) or the applicable legal age in your jurisdiction[/u] you can use Veritas Health sites and the Spine-health Forum [u]only in conjunction with, and under the supervision of, your parent or guardian who has agreed to these Terms of Use. If you are under the age of thirteen (13), you may not use the Veritas Health sites and/or the Spine-health Forums in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child under the age of eighteen (18), you may use the Veritas Health sites and/or the Spine-health Forums on behalf of such minor child. By using the Veritas Health sites and/or the Spine-health Forums on behalf of a minor child, you represent and warrant that you are the parent or legal guardian of such child and that all references in these Terms of Use to “you” shall refer to such child or such other individual for whom you have authorization to enter into these Terms of Use on their behalf, and you in your capacity as the parent or legal guardian of such child or as the authorized party of such individual. If you do not qualify under these terms, do not use the Veritas Health sites and/or the Spine-health Forums.

Liz, Spine-Health Moderator

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 485
    I can only imagine having your body pains at such an early age. I was fortunate to not have spondylolisthesis give me serious problems till I was in my 50's, not that I didn't have some warning signs along the way that I should have listened to and make some lifestyle changes for....but when we are young and healthy we tend to think we'll stay that way till we're of a much older age.

There's some circumstances we can change in our life, and some that we can't. We just have to do our best no matter what our circumstances are, because our circumstances don't define who we are.

Since my lumbar fusion last March, and having PT , I've seen so many young people recovering from fusions and knee replacements, some from accidents at work, recreation, or just failing bones.

We need to educate ourselves on our options, and go from there, and since you are so young, there must be someone you trust and confide in along this journey with you to your medical appointments, and there are some good checklists of questions to ask a Dr/surgeon posted on this forum, just need to put in a search for them.

I feel for you Conner, and hope you find the answers you need to make a confident decision on what to do next....hope to hear how you're doing soon : )