Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What does it take?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
What does it take to get into see a Neurosurgeon. I have my first appt coming up on August 6th. However, I made that appt back in June. My symptoms have worsened, and my ortho reluctantly said she would have her office call to try and get me in sooner but she did not seem to think it was urgent. I have also called atleast two other NS in the Boston area at top hospitals to get appt's for second opinions and they are booking out months in advance, like late Sept and even Jan.

I don't know what a person is supposed to do in the mean time. I don't believe I can wait that long for surgery, which seems to be the likely route. I may just have to trust what the first NS tells me just so that I can get the treatment I need.I don't know how much more patient my employer will be with me. Right now I am on lite duty but I have had to call in sick this week because my neck symptoms were sooo bad. And not to mention loss of pay. Any suggestions???

• I felt the same way here in ATL about my neck and pain I was having. I got 3 different opinions on whether I really needed the surgery or not (all said yes to surgery by the way). My last doctor is the one that ended up doing my surgery. He's one of the top guys at Emory and is the same way, booked way ahead.

I would suggest you do call your MD to help push an appt with the NS or start looking for another doctor. At least that's what I'd be doing.

My employer, fortunately, has been very understanding about this whole process.

Hope things work out for you.

• Andrea i see you have a ortho on board with you. Have you tried contacting a ortho that only specializes in spine surgery. My surgery was done by a ortho but had a NS assisting in the surgery. It may be another options so you could get as many opinions while waiting for the other appointment and then if they say surgery and you like the NS more you could choose them on the day of your appointment. There are many members here who have had the surgeries done by otho's who specialize only in spines. Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.