Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 week from surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have surgery next Thursday July 24th. I'm having a laminectomy. My surgeon said it was a Laminectomy/Microdiscectomy but when I got the approval in the mail it just said Laminectomy. I thought he was removing some pieces of the disc that had broken off but when I looked up Laminectomy it didn't say anything about the disc. It just said bone was removed. I'm a little confused and pretty nervous but I know I have a good surgeon. I'm not sure what I should do ahead of time to stay calm and be ready.

• ARe you seeing you surgeon again sometime before surgery or that's it? If you still have any questions on your mind about the surgery I would schedule an appointment and go see him with a written list to have all your concerned taking care of...

Best of luck on your surgery and please keep posting and let's know how things go...

Lotus :)
  • Just stay calm, get things ready at home so when you get back from hospital you won't have to do anything. Get plenty of magazines and/or books and some dvds to watch while you are recouperating. Focus on the positive outcome of the surgery and you will be fine!

Let us know how it goes. Hugs, Spicey
  • If youre wondering exactly which procedure is going to be done get in touch with your surgeons office and ask his secretary/personal assistant. Just tell her that the paper you said just says Laminectomy when you thought it was a
    Laminectomy/Microdiscectomy you were having.
    As for your nervousness about the surgery, you can ask your physican for a script for something to calm you down for the time prior to your surgery. They usually have no problem doing this.
    Hope your surgery goes wonderfully and leaves you pain free.

Christina :)
  • In both of mine, pre-op paper work that I have seen has said laminectomy, or hemi-laminectomy, but both times NS has removed bone, bone spurs, and herniated disc tissue. By all means, call the office and ask them to explain the procedure to you. It is only reasonable to want to be informed.

Good Luck!!