Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I go ahead with my surgery on Saturday?

I'm booked in to have microdiscectomy on Saturday. I've had an MRI and shows the nucleus of the disc has pushed through the disc wall at L5S1. I've been in a lot of pain for 8 weeks and loss of sensation and motor function in my leg. I've been desperately waiting for the surgery and although scared, can't wait to get out of this pain. Today though I've woken up and things seem a lot better - big pain reduction but still struggling to sit or walk, but pain from a 7 to a 3.

I'm not sure if its because I've been taking a higher dose of pregablin for 2 days. Foot is still weak and I have a limp despite pain reduction. I'm unsure if I should go ahead on Saturday or postpone the surgery as I really don't want it unless I have to have it. If I postpone, I'll go to back of the list and might be waiting another month for the surgery & i'm worried that if I do this, I might be having just one good day and the pain will come back. I know noone can answer this question so I'm just looking to see if anyone else been in same situation.
Thanks for ssupport.


  • I completely understand how you feel, from March until May I had excruciating pain in my left leg, couldn't sit, couldn't stand for more than a few minutes and had numbness and weakness. I got booked in for a microdiscectomy and in the week or so before I had it done the pain seemed to subside and I was really doubting going ahead with it. I'm sure our minds plays tricks on us.....!

    When I had my first visit to the consultant and he asked me my symptoms, I told him about the pain, numbness and weakness and he said that although pain is bad for the patient, it's a good sign because it shows the nerves are are still working and that If you have numbness and weakness without pain that's a sign that something needs to be done. Bearing that in mind I went ahead with it and had it done. Not only that but I thought if I cancelled it, the day after I'd probably really regret it!

    I don't regret it! I still get the odd sciatic twinge in my calf and thigh. Before I had the microdiscectomy it was enough to make me sweat and shout rude words at anyone and anything if I was upright, now it's not painful but just enough to occasionally remind me it's there and what happened! I still get intermittent numbness in my ankle and outside of my foot, can't go into tip-toe ( but that seems to be slowly improving) and have a slight limp but I'm walking, sitting, swimming, back at work and back to life. There's a chance I could reherniate sure (but I could have even if I hadn't had the op and things somehow got better by themselves) but I'll deal with that if and when I have to. for now I'm almost back to normal and I'm grateful for it. If I ever had to have another one done I would without hesitation.

    Recovery for me was boring more than anything, for the first week or so my back hurt when going from laying down to standing up and vice versa, and it was just walking, laying down and watching tv or reading for 6 weeks so if you go ahead with it make sure you've plenty of films or books!

    Probably not helpful but the best of luck with whatever you decide and hope all goes well!

    L5-S1 microdiscectomy, May 2015
  • Thanks Jolly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has pre-surgery panic. The pain came back again last night as bad as before so glad I didn't cancel. This time tomorrow it will done and I'm feeling pleased with my decision. Also good to know that strength in your leg is returning. Gives us all hope that we'll get back to some normality.
Sign In or Register to comment.