Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

why do pain clinics not give u Norco if u smoke marijuana?

brockonebbrockone Posts: 1
edited 11/12/2015 - 8:59 AM in Chronic Pain
I've been going to the same pain clinic for almost 2 yrs, and have had several drug tests at which time I was never told anything about my marijuana smoking. I'm 60 yrs old and have been getting high daily for 35 yrs, yes I would say its in my system. Today I get a call from my Dr. he's dropping me because my drug test came back positive on the marijuana thing? What happened with the other drug tests? I guess I signed something in the original paperwork that I did not do any street drugs, honestly the pot helps with my chronic back and leg pain. I enjoy getting high but it equally helps with the pain. I also even though its still illegal to purchase it I do not consider it a "street drug".
Whats a guy to do? I live in the Western Chicago Suburbs anyone have any ideas on a Dr. who can help me??
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for listening
brockone said:

I guess I signed something in the original paperwork that I did not do any street drugs

That is the problem. Once you signed that contract, they will make sure you adhere to 100% of it. Many medical practices will dismiss a patient on the first time they violate that contract.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 11/12/15

• brockone, I could write a book on your situation. I'm only two years younger than you and have also just enjoyed marijuana for the effects since 1975 (up until I chose to enter into pain management which put an abrupt stop to that)...to me, there's no better feeling, and in my option if enjoyed responsibly hurts no one. for doctors to ignore its'pain reliving properties is just stupidity...but for us at our age, time is running out. I'm in Tennessee, and I think I would spend more time in prison for a trumped up marijuana charge than I would for manslaughter...it is hard enough to get the Rx that you need, much less find a pain management dr that would overlook taking both...I imagine there are some out there, but I only have three to choose from in a city of 185,000...and one of those sucks. So, a lot plays into it

I believe that I would be able to take just a minimum amount of long acting opiate with no breakthrough at all if I was able to smoke a little now and then...but the doctors seem to think that you will seize up or stroke out for some reason...tip doctors: just don't test for it and you won't know...it's not the end of the world. It's just pathetic the views of doctors and many people on the subject

Well, I need to stop because I'm just getting cranked up and my blood pressure is riding, so Zi'll close with seconding what d. said:you more than likely signed off on jot smoking it, and the drug test caught up with you...a hazard of the metabolites being fat soluble...do your Coke and it is gone in two to three days, but lord forbid smoke a little and it's in you for the long haul

I don't know what state you're in, and moving at 60 is probably not feasible, but a medical marijuana state may be an option...but like me, I don't think that alone would take care of all of my pain by itself

Good luck in whatever you choose and I hope that it works out for you

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I recently gave up 10 years of opiates in favor of 420 and ETOH. So far I'm doing OK !!!
    14 years a Friend of Bill W has helped with moderation.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I worked in Pharmacy and studied all those drugs we prescribe to patients. Due to my own health issues I didn't remain in pharmacy long but I did stay long enough to know that human bodies are inconsistent. For me, I took aspirin for 30 years on and off. In 2000 I took an aspirin and started to feel itchy. Within 20 minutes I realized I needed to go to the ER because I was having an allergic reaction. I have not taken aspirin since and also cannot take NSAIDS. What changed? Who knows?

I go to a pain clinic and am now on MS Contin and oxycodone. I was terrified to start on those drugs because of everything widely known about them but I didn't know enough about the newest studies on opiates saying that they would be a safe bet for me. A safe bet as long as I understood the medications and I listened to my doctors. I openly told my doctors I liked to smoke both cigarettes and marijuana. So my doctor sat with me and discussed every effect of narcotics on my body and their effects with other drugs added in. I knew very little about respiratory depression. Other medications I take for other medical issues already lower my body's ability to deal with respiratory depression- that state when you are unable to exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide. Smoking marijuana and cigarettes also makes the gaseous exchange more difficult too.

My pain clinic does have contracts with patients. Some people need that. Some people are helped with the black and white line, you smoke pot, do illegal drugs, you're no longer a patient of the pain clinic. I wasn't presented with the contract because I intrinsically understand the fine line between "I'm fine" and "I'm fine" but my oxygen stats have dropped 10 points.

I quit smoking October 20, 2014 (cigarettes) and have not have pot since either. My doc and I still discuss it. If I want to go back to smoking I can but I need to tell my doc in advance. Dying of an overdose while a patient of his, a very young doc, can really mess up his stats and I have no right to do that to him. I can make decisions that affect me but none that will negatively affect those around me or cause it to be more difficult for others to benefit from a pain clinic.

In the same way, a doctor will not knowingly prescribe cumadin and Plavix. Both cause blood to clot less and, while this is important to those threatened by blood clots but too much of a good thing can kill too.

Perhaps I'd also choose to smoke pot over taking morphine but I am able to know how I function on morphine. I know where I can get it. I know that there is quality control. For now, I'm doing pretty good on this plan. I can at anytime choose to stop treating with the pain clinic and try any other treatments I want. I just need to remain honest and expect my doctors to be the same with me.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I just received a dismissal letter today for the fact that the drugs prescribed were too low, or didn't show up in my last 3 urinalysis!! Nothing unprescribed showed up. I feel you. I am looking to find another PM doctor. See my recent post for my full story. Hope you find treatment.