Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone did TLIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease

• Hi Phil. I had one on June 25th, L4-L5. I'm getting along pretty good now. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• Hi Yvonne,

You just got yours done. I did mine on the 30th of May. I did a 2 level fusion, it is harder than the 1 level though. I am still kind of stiffed, if I get on the floor I struggled to get up. LOL! I have been experiencing a lot of spasms, but I go on a bike or treadmill. The more I walk the better I feel, I went on the bike today and now I am feeling great.

• I haven't ventured on a bike yet, but I'm walking about 1 - 2 miles a day. I still have some pain, where they did the surgery but all the numbness and leg pain is gone. I haven't gotten on the floor yet due to fear of having to get back up. :)

It sounds like you are doing really well!!!!
  • I've been trying to find someone who has had it. I posted a note about what is going on...

I have no one to talk to about it... mine is going to be very very similar.
  • Hello Patr. I send you a PM. :)
  • I am 16 weeks Post Operation now , L5/S1, pretty full on.My back is still very stiff , I can hardly get my socks on and getting in and out of the car is hard to . I think I need to walk more and I am also thinking about Pilates soon. I feel like I have a stick up my left Butt Cheek and I still have Sciatic pain left side and some shooting pains both sides . At times I am in no pain and I see that as positive ! Before I was in pain 24/7.I have not tried Bike riding but will get there. So good to read everyone's different feelings and opinions.Keep battlimg on , only early days yet.
  • I had mine in June and am still trying to recover. I've had bad flare ups of severe pain throughout this experience. I've been on Torodal to calm down my sciatica temporarily. My post op CT/myelogram was okay; I don't know any details, but still continue to have a hard time. I am currently on steroids because I went downhill after stopping Torodal. I was also told to take naproxen and I had my reservations about that. It seems that anti inflammatories make me feel decent and more mobile. It makes the pain a little tolerable and I'm also on Fentanyl, diazepam, norco, and neurontin.
    I was told that some people improve slower than others; I heard that last year when I had decompression surgery and never improved. Everybody is different. I think you stand a good chance of a decent recovery if your body was conditioned before the injury. My problem was that I haven't exercised since high school and I have other concurrent problems as well.
    I hope yours goes smoothly and wish you a speedy recovery.
  • I had the TLIF on L4 1 1/2 yrs ago and I am worse now than ever. Now, that isn't doesn't mean it isn't meant for everyone. My experience has been a roller coaster. My first doc won't admit that he just didn't know what was wrong nor would he listened to me when I said there was. After ending up using a walker for months, a LSO brace, a tens unit, trying the trial stimulator and many docs and PT and meds later, I am getting ready to have a second surgery.
    As a nurse, I know that factually every person heals different and at their own pace but mine has been horrible. I can't even cough without yelling out after. Life has changed and thank god I am blessed with a great husband! Being married for only four years, he has endured more of my health problems than most people want to go through with their spouse.
    I would suggest anyone to research their doc and be sure they tell you what to expect from the beginning before you just jump right in. I was told the percentages, I also was told that I would be up and around and back to work in three weeks! Haha, Well, it's been a year and a half and I am worse than before surgery. I wish I could be a little more upbeat on this subject for you. If you have any problems or questions, just ask me, I am sure I went through it! I had drop falls, got hit by the valet driver- post op- at the hospital and by my own car mind you, fell down the stairs 6 weeks post op. Ya, I got it bad!! haha Gotta laugh, I'd cry to much if I didn't.
  • Sorry to hear about your present condition. And you have a wonderful career, and it's a shame to be sidelined like this.

I had a TLIF/Laminectomy only 3 months ago (L4-S1), and I know it's still early in the game to call it. I was told the same thing, about being down for 12 weeks and feeling better. And in the same breath that some people get better, no improvement, or get worse. I was offered a neurostimulator if things didn't work out.

My incision pain is gone, but I still have the same pain in the back and the radiculopathy is constant and unrelenting. I've been on Torodal for 8 days for a severe flare, steroids, neurontin, and the Valium was increased because of horrendous muscle spasms. Once I get off those powerful meds I go downhill.

I did have a microdiscectomy last year along with 5 ESI's ( 2 post op) and PT, and the pain never improved. (L4-5)(Conditions- Grade I retro, L3 hemangioma, recurrent HNP, L5-S1 bulge w/ impingement, facet arthropathy, DDD- cervical,thoracic,lumbar)

Is there still hope for me? Or am I headed for a FBSS diagnosis? This is a very difficult question for me, and I respect your opinion. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Take care
  • I am sorry to hear all this.And u have to always have hope that things will get better! I still hope! I have pain on a daily basis right now on a pain scale, I am a 8 most days and some days a 9. This has been constant since my surgery. I wish for the days I was a 4. I go see my surgeon tomorrow to find out when and what surgery her wants to do next. My PM thinks I have adjacent segment disorder, I think so to. I already have the failed back syndrome diagnosis. I have applied for SSD a year and half ago. I tried going back to work and my doc was against it and ultimatly, I couldn't do it. I put my patients at risk and I couldn't do that.

Have you thought about doing another round of PT, ESI's usually don't help if they first few didn't, seriously think about the stilulator. ANd one the I learned is try to walk as much as possible. I did walk with my walker as much as I thought I could but i keep hearng from people the key is walking. And even though most nurses are non compliant, LOL, I was! I don't want to speak for your doctor too soon about whether your back has failed you, so, hang in there, unfortunatly- take your meds and walk. Even when it hurts, walk. I know how hard it is when u hurt, believe me. ANd most importantly, if your dr. wont listen, find a new one. It's not doctor hopping it's finding one you trust and will listen to you. Only you know your body. Good luck and PM me if you need anything or something that I can help you understand medical wise. God bless! Tammy