Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey all! Some encouragement!

yasminayyasmina Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Haven't posted for awhile, as I've been busy getting on with my life.

I had fusion surgery on L3-5 on 9/24/07. It's been a long road. I went back to work (as a middle school teacher) on 1/2/08. It was hard, but all the walking seemed to really help. I stopped PT after I went back to work, b/c by the time I got home, there was NO WAY I was up for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours of more physical work.

So anyway, in the past week, I have beaten both my 12 yo. daughter and my 13 yo. nephew in swimming races. Last year at this time, I couldn't even swim a single stroke, b/c it hurt so bad to kick. Today I cleaned my entire kitchen, including walls, ceiling, and ceiling fan. Yes, it hurts, but it feels SO good to finally be able to contribute to household needs.

So fear not! Your life WILL improve. Like I told my PCP, I'll never be 20 yo. again (will be 45 yo. in 2 weeks), but I am able to do so much more than I could a year ago. Each time I push myself, I find that I am able to even more.

So hang in there! This place has been a lifesaver for me during my recovery period and beyond. Don't hesitate to post any questions or concerns, as the folks here are among the most knowledgable and compassionate as I've ever known. You're in great company!

• I also fell on my right hip and backside, the source of most of my pre-op pain, when walking up the hill to the deck of our pool today.

It feels no worse than I would expect after everything I did today.
  • Yasmina,

Thank your for the encouragement. I haven't had my ALIF yest (8/8 is the day) but I have been worried about the future. So many people have been trying to talk me out of the surgery saying I will loose mobility. It's hard for me to imagine it being any worse than things are right now... I can't even bend to pick up my little puppy or get out of bed like a normal person.

Anyway, it's great to hear from you about your successes.

• I appreciate your story. That is how I felt when one of my nerve root injections worked (only for a few days) but I was like woohooo I can be myself again.... Sadly that was many months ago. I can't wait for next summer :)

Thanks Again,

• Gosh, I'm glad your injection worked. I wish one of my 4 injections had worked.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
  • Thank you so much for posting your positive story. Your story will help so many of us who are still recovering or contimplating surgery. Sorry you had a fall and hope it's nothing more than a light bruise. Happy early birthday too!

• yasmina, great to hear from you after this length of time and so good to hear how well you are doing!

Thanks for posting - you will give many others encouragement. Keep up the good recovery and keep posting :)

Cheers, Bruce.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Yasmina -

It certainly is great to hear that you are doing so well. Your story was one I watched closely and learned so much from as I was looking for help for my husband last fall. Thanks for letting me learn so much. I am so happy for you and wish you lots of continued "living". Chris is now 3 1/2 months out from a L2-5 fusion and walking 4-6 miles a day. He still has a fair amount of pain that we are hoping will go away as he fuses.

• Thanks SO much for taking the time to share your encouraging story. Every time I read something like this it helps me in my struggle to "get my mind right" (i.e., get a positive attitude 8) ) about having spinal fusion sometime soon.
  • Ditto what Heidi says!

I'm having a case of nerves and I needed to hear this!