Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headaches help

Robbie43RRobbie43 Posts: 18
edited 11/14/2015 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
On the 24th February 2014 I made an appointment with a local osteopath for tennis elbow).
The osteopath massaged my arms etc then continued to unwilling talk me into a neck munipulation to my upper neck. He sat me on my back and "adjusted" my neck to the left. I heard loud cracks at the time of the munipulation.( 1st ever munipulation ) He sat me up and told me to go home and ice my neck ( which I did ). At the time there was no pain what so ever. For some reason he didn't manipulate my neck to the right, which I thought was strange.
3-4 days past and with no problems what so ever. On the 4th night at about 3am I woke up in enormous amount of neck pain and a massive headache. My neck hurt enormously, I couldn't turn my neck to the left, but to the right was ok. It was sore to touch in the c2 right side as well. I COULD ACTAULLY FEEL MY C2 twisted to the right. The pain lasted about a week with super bad headaches on the right side. I had full straight headaches 24/7, also my face was warm and very red and had a feeling of warm water always pouring out my right ear (for the first 6 months). After the first week my neck pain subsided. I could turn my neck left or right with no pain what so ever. It's been 1 year and 9 months since That manipulation. Gradually after those first 6 months now Every morning starts off fine. About midday I start to get a pressure/tight feeling in my c2 right side area, it doesn't hurt, just feels a slight pressure and a little tight. From there the pain shoots up into the right side of the back of my head. I feel pain on top of my head a short time later (right side), Then after an hour longer this turns into a full on headache/ miagraine. About once every 2-3 months I don't have a headache at all for a day, My neck feels good with no pressure build up at all in the c2 area. But sure enough, the headaches return in their very own pattern once again. The longest I've gone with no headaches or neck pain was about 10 days. This was about 9 months after the incident ( no treatment. Had gone for no reason). The headaches come with no reason at all. It doesn't matter if I'm working or not working. Resting or not resting, the headaches are there. Since June 2014 I started getting pvc's( heart palpitations). Since December 2014 I haven't worked at all. That's when late December 2014 I got appendicitis out of nowhere, my bowels become inflamed and now I have been told I have crohns decease. Before my munipulation I was fit and strong. 90kg ( 200pnds) now I am 77kg ( 170pnds). My daily headaches continue. I never get headaches on the left side. The headache always starts off from the right then turns into a front headache as the day progesses.


This is a list of treatments I've tried. And dates roughly when I received them. Note that I didnt get any scans or test until after 3 months after the incident.

X-ray 20/4/2014
Mri 20/9/2014
Special mri ( pin point pain area then scanned ) 20/11/2014
Ct 20/10/2014
Ct in hospital with dye. 2/10/2014

All scans came back ok.

Seen a pain management doctor and have I received

- nerve block in office to the occipital nerve.
- sent out for c2/c3 and c3/c4 facet injection.
None of them helped what so ever.

I've tried physio
Dry needling
Accupunture
Remedial massage
Chiro with about 30 neck munipulation.

The dry needling aggravated my headaches as well as the remedial massages. The chiro neck munipulation made me feel foggy for days after but didn't help or aggravate the headache at all.

I've also seen 2 neurologist who have had no idea what is going on. They have tried me on lyrica, topamax ( topiramate ), prednisone , Celebrex and Amitriptyline which have not helped at all either. I've also tried a migraine abort drug. tried them for 3 months. I have also tried prednisone for 2 months on a strong dose of 40mg and tapering, with no help as well.

Also note, prior to this I have never had any neck trouble, pain or injuries what so ever in my life. I've never had a neck headache or a headache from the back of my head in my life. About once a year I'd get a headache behind my eyes from being in the sun all day, that was it.

Do you have any idea what happen?? Please help
advertisement

Comments

  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    Curious....if neurologists did any kind of testing? EMG?

    The nerve conduction test was very revealing for my doctor.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

  • Savage said:
    Curious....if neurologists did any kind of testing? EMG?

    The nerve conduction test was very revealing for my doctor.
    No, that's one thing I haven't tried. I'll be bringing that up with my pain specialist at my next appointment. Is this an easy procedure ?. I'm not to familiar with it. Thanks for your reply
  • I was wondering if you by any chance have had a bone density scan? It is very difficult to see (even on ct and MRI) tiny fractures. If you have early osteoarthritis or osteopenia, this "doctor" very well could have caused hairline fractures in your c spine. This would explain a lot of your symptoms. Just something to think about. I hope that you begin to feel better. You are in my thoughts.
  • Robbie43RRobbie43 Posts: 18
    edited 11/15/2015 - 5:50 PM
    Mojojojo1980 said:
    I was wondering if you by any chance have had a bone density scan? It is very difficult to see (even on ct and MRI) tiny fractures. If you have early osteoarthritis or osteopenia, this "doctor" very well could have caused hairline fractures in your c spine. This would explain a lot of your symptoms. Just something to think about. I hope that you begin to feel better. You are in my thoughts.
    Thank you for your reply.

    No I have not had a bone density test. I will bring this up as well with my doctor. I wish when it happen I went straight to hospital. I put up with severe pain for 8 weeks before seeing anyone for scans etc. maybe something would of came up then.

    Has anyone else have any ideas to share please?
    Rob
  • Can someone please tell me if medial branch nerve block is the same as c2-c3 facet injection? I have tried the c2-c3 facet injection and want to know if it's worth my while trying a medial branch block.
  • First off, I know EXACTLY what you're going thru. I suffered with what was diagnosed as “migraines” for roughly 6 years with no relief from any of the medications for migraines until my doctor finally sent me to a migraine specialist/neurologist. I did an MRI and found out it wasn't migraines it was severe neck damage with multiple bulging discs and severe stinosis among other things, but what the migraine specialist explained to me was when your neck is damaged in any way your brain sends orders to the muscles around your spine to work overtime to help support your neck while it heals and in doing so can and usually causes spasms that can either affect the occipital never OR spasm thru the muscles over your skull which will then put pressure on your head and cause “migraine like pain headaches ”. I was put on a muscle relaxer to target the spasms and it stopped the headaches. Have you tried anything for the muscles themselves and not the nerves/spine? If not it wouldn't hurt to ask your doc about it.
  • Robbie43RRobbie43 Posts: 18
    edited 11/17/2015 - 6:59 PM
    BKempton28 said:
    First off, I know EXACTLY what you're going thru. I suffered with what was diagnosed as “migraines” for roughly 6 years with no relief from any of the medications for migraines until my doctor finally sent me to a migraine specialist/neurologist. I did an MRI and found out it wasn't migraines it was severe neck damage with multiple bulging discs and severe stinosis among other things, but what the migraine specialist explained to me was when your neck is damaged in any way your brain sends orders to the muscles around your spine to work overtime to help support your neck while it heals and in doing so can and usually causes spasms that can either affect the occipital never OR spasm thru the muscles over your skull which will then put pressure on your head and cause “migraine like pain headaches ”. I was put on a muscle relaxer to target the spasms and it stopped the headaches. Have you tried anything for the muscles themselves and not the nerves/spine? If not it wouldn't hurt to ask your doc about it.
    First of all thank you for your reply. I really do understand the pain. To be honest I've lost my job my girlfriend my life and pretty much my mind. I feel for anyone who has any type of chronic headache. It really is a life destroyer. It's different to other pain, let's say back pain. I have a L5-s1 slipped disc as well. I can isolate that pain and still enjoy life. But when it's in your head it effects thinking and your whole output in life.' That's only my opinion. Every one perceives pain differently, everyone deals with it differently.

    Can I ask the drug names of these muscle relaxers? That is one thing I haven't tried. And it did help you a lot?
    Thanks heaps
    Rob
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

  • You're 100% correct in saying that chronic headaches affect EVERYTHING in your life. Like I said I've dealt with it for a very long time and tried everything there was until I find the cause. The muscle relaxer that helped me is called Flexeril. I take 1 10 mg tablet 3 times a day and at first it made me really sleepy and groggy during the day, but I got used to it and that stopped. It did help the headaches big time, but not my spinal and nerve problems from my neck, but without the constant headache it makes things much more bearable. A big tip I have for you is TRY and be patient as much as possible with the doc's. Headache's/migraine's are one of the most faked condition's there is by people just wanting meds because it's so hard for a doc to prove or disprove and their license is on the line with every single script they write so they have to be understandably cautious and for a lot of doc's if you don't have something a wrong that a test can prove then in their minds you don't have it. That was the major problem I ran into and it's frustrating but literally as soon as an MRI showed something wrong I was given the help I needed. Don't ask for any meds by name, just ask your doc about muscle relaxers and if they might help. Good luck with everything I hope I was able to give you info that will help you.
  • BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 11/29/2015 - 4:07 AM
    I've been having horrible occipital neuralgia headaches and my NS put me on Valium 2mg every 6 hours and it has helped my headaches more than narcotics do. It is a muscle relaxer, so like BKemoton28 said, they are worth trying. Talk to your doctor about it. I like the 2mg Valium because I can take it during the day with out it knocking me out. The Flexeril knocked me out cold, so it was hard to stay on it regularly.
  • Robbie43RRobbie43 Posts: 18
    edited 11/29/2015 - 4:32 PM
    BlessedMom74 said:
    I've been having horrible occipital neuralgia headaches and my NS put me on Valium 2mg every 6 hours and it has helped my headaches more than narcotics do. It is a muscle relaxer, so like BKemoton28 said, they are worth trying. Talk to your doctor about it. I like the 2mg Valium because I can take it during the day with out it knocking me out. The Flexeril knocked me out cold, so it was hard to stay on it regularly.
    Hi thanks for the reply guys.
    I just got some 5mg from the doctor today. I'll try half a tablet and see how I go
  • I hope you got some relief from the meds. It takes a rather large dose of valium to relieve the spasms in my neck. At the ER, the dr gave me an IV dosage that helped. What my PCP prescribes helps my anxiety but not the muscle spasms and resulting headaches.

    I have been dealing with this on and off for many years as well. I have found that if I do regular stretching (I found the stretches on this site and added some of my own - a total of 11 or 12), eventually the spasms ease up. Sometimes it takes months of patient stretching, but this seems to help.

    Something has always caused the cycle to return and it is usually some sort of unintentional stress to my neck.

    I know it doesn't seem like stretching is something that might help but it does for me.

    I hope you find some relief.
    Scoliosis and other problems at every level.

    2013: C-5 to C-6 ADR
    2014: C-5 to C-6 fusion/revision of failed ADR
    2014: Total hip replacement, right

    Cancelled multi-level fusion - fear being more crippled and in more pain.
  • Treadmill said:
    I hope you got some relief from the meds. It takes a rather large dose of valium to relieve the spasms in my neck. At the ER, the dr gave me an IV dosage that helped. What my PCP prescribes helps my anxiety but not the muscle spasms and resulting headaches.

    I have been dealing with this on and off for many years as well. I have found that if I do regular stretching (I found the stretches on this site and added some of my own - a total of 11 or 12), eventually the spasms ease up. Sometimes it takes months of patient stretching, but this seems to help.

    Something has always caused the cycle to return and it is usually some sort of unintentional stress to my neck.

    I know it doesn't seem like stretching is something that might help but it does for me.

    I hope you find some relief.
    I thought it helped for 2 days. But headaches came back. I've taken up go 20 mg of Valium to see if it stops them, but they return just as usual. Nothing helps me. I wake up with a headache and go to sleep with a headache. Life has changed. Chiros should be banned. This guy has ruined me life
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.