Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Successful ACDF surgery

CabomomCCabomom Posts: 3
edited 12/07/2015 - 2:03 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to show a positive experience with ACDF surgery with fusion looks like. Backstory -I am a 45 yr old woman. I had neck /shoulder pain a year ago and did nothing but medicate for 3 months till it finally subsided. A year later I stretched before getting out of bed and felt something I thought was a stiff neck. As the days and weeks went on I had unbearable pain that radiated down my left arm and a small amount of numbness in my thumb. I got an appt. with a neurosurgeon got and MRI that confirmed I had 5 bulging discs 2 with severe stenosis. I was recommended to have surgery. I made a date, cancelled and postponed the date. I was pain free and went to have a 2nd opinion who said hey if you're not in pain you can put off the surgery but the risk of paralysis is always a risk. After much research online (lots of negative outcomes online) and educating myself I decided to go ahead with the surgery. I had C5-6, C6-7 ACDF surgery with man made disc replacements and plates and screws. My surgeon does NOT use collars which I found to be rare and unusual but honestly I never felt like I needed one and may be why I feel so great now. I had my surgery 10 days ago I feel on top of the world!!!
I was in some pain about the first 7 days but I have mostly no pain at all except occasional pain when I first get up. I have full mobility as well. I still have restrictions like no lifting and taking it easy and of course no riding or driving in a car. I see the surgeon this week and hope to lift at least the car restrictions. I made sure that during my research stage that I learned what supplements to take and not to take and what foods would encourage bone growth as well. I of course haven't made it that far yet to see if fusion is occurring but am trying to give myself the best possible outcome. I found it beneficial to take vitamin D3, B complex and C. I assure you that after the surgery I was eating next to nothing but found a "green juice " my husband found in the produce section helped coat my stomach for medications etc. I also walk everyday. The first few days I only walked around hospital, and the block, but now I can walk miles with no problem.
I hope this helps someone out there looking to make their decision as to whether or not to do ACDF with fusion surgery. There are not enough positive experience stories out there. I believe that is because most people with good outcomes don't continue to post. Good luck in your journey.
**I am now 4 weeks out and have been back to work about 2 weeks. I have a home daycare. I feel great most of the time. I have some pain sometimes in the evening. I see the dr. tomorrow. He told me have no restrictions 2 1/2 weeks out. I find that crazy and I am trying to take it as easy as my job will let me.

kimfrey
advertisement

Comments

• Sue 1965SSue 1965 United KingdomPosts: 115
    Its really lovely to hear a positive story like yours and thanks for sharing-I have flare ups of right arm/shoulder/hand and neck pain which make everyday things like working!-very hard.I also suffer from extreme lower back pain-worse in a morning but goes after an hour or so-I can feel it if I slouch over-as if the pain is dropping there..

I have been having bad headaches for years too..I was told I have c5/c6 bulge pressing on c6 nerve but don't know to what extent a few years ago-my surgeon thooght I had only about a 30% chance of the op curing my arm pain so I decided against it.. The flare ups however are really affecting my ability to function so I am going back and hoping he will operate-reading all the stories on here mostly scares me to death but it's really lovely to hear from someone like you who has had an almost positive experience!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    It is so good to hear a good story!

Thanks for posting your encouraging words!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Kirstij79KKirstij79 UKPosts: 158
    edited 11/16/2015 - 10:16 AM
    Just what I needed to hear :) :)
    Kirsti x