Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

medical clearance for surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello again. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
I received my medical clearances!!! Had the echo and nuclear chemical stress test. everything is okay. Now just wait for August 4th. Having L4-S1 spinal fusion. OS said he won't know until he is 'in' if I need more levels.
I am diabetic so wondering if this will make a difference in recovery. Gosh, so many questions. How long is hospital stay. I am concerned about my blood sugar control since last surgery the nurses didn't check bs much. I took my own meter!
Am on neurton now. Pardon the spelling, I feel very spacey. OS wants me to wean off the pain meds . that is hard.
My hubby is good at helping and son will come into town to help the weekend after surgery. Oh, almost forgot OS said something about being in instive care after surgery. Any imput on that?
Sorry for rambling but meds really make me spacey. OH, my son eloped a few weeks ago. Gee, think that made my blood sugar rise!!!!
Thank you again for all your welcomes .

• Hopefully they will watch your blood sugar well after surgery! Trauma in itself can cause it to rise, but if they use any steroids during or after your surgery...it'll definitely elevate. Maybe that's why they'll have you in ICU. Some ICU's use a computer program like "glucomander". It helps monitor BS and titrate insulin to help you stay controlled. It'll be really important to keep it down, as you probably know, it can affect healing and set you up for infection. Best of luck to you...it sounds like your surgeon is being cautious! :)
  • That just made me laugh - on top of all you are going through! :)
    I know nothing about diabetes so I have no words of wisdom, just sending warm happy thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
  • My blood sugar became the most normal thing about me. I too took my meter and it was a good thing since theirs used a complicated formula and mine just gives the reading in 5 seconds. The problem I ran into is pulse rate -went into spasms (156) and my platelate count went up over 900 thousand.
    When I had my knee done they argued with me about my oral medication. This time I had my PCP tell to let me tend to my meds. So I gave them the bottle of Avandryl and they brought it to me. That is one reason mine worked so well.
    Don;t let them change your meds. Took me 4 months to get mine back under control.
  • On getting the go ahead for your surgery. I'm sure everything will come out peachy :)