Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No help from my NS

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, my greatest fear came true. My appointment with the NS turned into "I'm sorry, you have too much going on." I wouldn't want to operate on you.
Yes, I have severe stenosis and yes he's sure I have tremendous pain from the all of the multi-level foramen stenosis & nerve impingement and gosh I am just such a young woman to have such an aged cervical spine. Really - ya think?!
So, he's referring me to a physiatrist?? told me to stop seeing my PT guy, not to go back to my ortho - forget about surgery for my torn elbow tendon for now.
What about all of the pain - I ask? Just do what you are doing now, he says.
OMG - are you kidding?! If that was working do you think I'd be here?
I am just beyond frustrated.

• Almost the same thing happened to me-my last NS told me my case was "too complicated" for him-but he refered me to another NS (at a university)-the next week I went there and THANKFULLY he is going to do my surgery!! He is doing a level 3 TLIF-and he may biopsy a spinal tumor that I have while he is there. Get another opinion! I am only 33 years old and I keep getting the same response about being "so young" to have these problems. I hope it works out well for you too!
  • Wow, you sound like you are not in a good position right now. I have heard that the only treatment for stenosis is surgical, so I don't understand why he would say no surgery. I think you should get your films and go see someone else.

By the way, a physiatrist who specializes in the spine can do wonders. I credit mine for helping me to walk again. The name sounds like a shrink, but a physiatrist is a sports medicine doctor.

How old are you? I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I hope you find answers soon.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Yeah, he was full of compliments about how young and thin I was. OH and big busted too, and how all of those have contributed to my problems.
    I thought young thin and busty were good? What the heck happened? :P
  • That whole deal just sounds very wrong!!! and making comments on your bust and being thin what a whacko, I am a 36DD and have never had a doctor tell me my boobs had to do with my neck or back and if he did I'd be so pissed!!!!And I was told the smae thing "oh my you have the back and neck of an 80 yr. old" well thanx but whatcha gonna do about it!!!!!! This shouts 2nd, 3rd, or 4th opinions!!!!!! hang in there!!!!

• Funny you said that, because when he said "Physiatrist". Hubby and I looked at each other and went "WHAT?" and I thought great another Dr is saying I'm crazy!
    Oh,BTW,I'm 46.
  • Well, what the heck, we're the same size! I wonder if he would tell you the same thing? You'll have to come with me next time and we can just really baffle him! :jawdrop:
  • I know everyone has there opinions about whether to use a NS or OS, but if you're not happy with the one you have, get another opinion. Perhaps it is time to try someone who works on more complicated cases? or to try a OS? I've come to believe that when a doctor says "nothing can be done", he really is saying "there is nothing that I can do". Sometimes that will be accompanied by a reccomendation that you seek another opinion but frequently not. So, it is up to you to take charge and go get another opinion or two.

Good luck, Terri
  • maybe it's his way of telling you he sucks as a dr. and isn't skilled enough to handle your case. he was most likely afraid to say it that way - always remember someone had to finish last in their class. do research for better dr's in your area - even outside your area. you'll find the help you need.

look at it this way, he could of operated on you.
  • OMG! I had a doctor tell me the same thing about my 34 DD size! He told me I need a reduction-he said it would help my neck issues. He also warned me not to gain weight-I am 5'8 and 140 lbs-he acted like I was obese! Some docs just have no clue
  • I think it would be time for a second opinion, either from another NS or a OS or both. I wish you well and hope that things start getting better in the near future.

• I'm the same size too! I've never been told anything like that. But... I have been told about posture issues by a female PT..specifically being very tall and large chested, and trying to lean your chin and shoulders forward to seem smaller.
  • Hear hear! Second opinion! Have you got any ideas of who you can try for some other opinions?
    Is this your first NS Dr, as in a true first opinion, only opinion?