hi, i thought I would join the forum to share my experience and hopfully gain moral support and advice to help me manage and come to terms with the condition i have recentlty been diagnosed with. Whilst the full extent is still unkown, I am aware i have Cervical spondylosis with Bilaterial Foraminal Spinal Stensosis with radiculopathy. i have part parathesia of both hands affecting little and ring fingers and dropped thumb affecting grip along with chronic pain which changes location as quick as the British weather.
This started 2 years ago(2013) i woke up one morning with no sense of feeling in my left hand. My gp took the wait and see route. I was signed off work with "Trapped nerve within the brachial plexus " I was prescribed, Gabapentin, naproxen and omepazole, once it was apparent the nerve pain was not going to repair itself. it took 3 months to be assigned an NHS physio, they believed several nerves were affected, i went through 3 months of treatment before they released a nerve around the shoulder blade and everything appeared to stabilise and was discharged back to primary care.
I have had flare ups every couple of months since then, each time the condition worsens to the extent in January 2015 it started to affect my right side as well. I was at last referred to a spinal consultant. i was offered a private hospital as a fastrack option through the nhs, an mri was done in July 2015, where I received the diagnosis of Cervical spondylosis with cervical bilaterial foraminal spinal stenosis of at least the c6/7 vetebrae. the consutant referred me back to primary care/GP and a requested referral to the NHS pain management clinic via NHS.
End of September another flare up starting with chronic cramp in the riing finger, bruising and sharp continious pain in forearm radiating from tricep area and interchanging burning/tingling/icey feeling around the neck and upper body spinal area.
October, my GP has stopped me from driving as I now experience substantial upper body weakness and loss of grip in my hands and signed me off work again until the symptoms stabilise again.end of October I had the long awaited Pain Management 1st appointment, i have had a second MRI as the private hospital would not share MRI results with the NHS. I am awaiting results. My consultant increased my Gabapentin to 600mg x3 day and dehydrocodene, both of which took over 3 weeks for my GP to receive the letter and reluctantly prescribed the dehydrocodene due to the cost of the medication. The dehydrocodience is definitely helping to manage the pain, just wish I had been prescribed it sooner.
Has anyone else had a similiar experience ?