Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint fusion fail

I have been living with chronic SI Joint pain for more than 8 years and tried to take my own life once during this nightmare. I had SI Joint surgery going on 5 or 6 mths ago and the pain is the same and worse at times. I tried to see pain management doctors but none of them want to help me or want to do injections which I already have had 12 with only numbing medication doing anything at all. My quality of life is pour and seems to be no relief from this coming. What can you do when you had the si joint fusion, injections, PT 3 fail?

A doctor wanted to send me to classes to learn how to deal with the pain and have a normal life style! Think how much it hurts if you burn your hand or brake a bone. my pain is that sharp 24 hours a day and no class can make me be able to simply live with it. I hoped issue 3 in Ohio would have passed that would have opened a new type of medication that could change my life but it failed! Now i'm trapped in a living nightmare and seems like no one cares in the medical field to help me! Please someone, anyone help end my nightmare!

• CherylCCCherylC Posts: 185
    edited 11/18/2015 - 12:34 AM
    I know it's hard to see through this at the moment but please think about giving the pain management program a go. Like you, I didn't think it could help me. I have now been through 2 different programs and each one has helped a lot. I learned how to do things differently and what techniques I can use when the pain gets too much. It hasn't taken my pain away but it has helped me reclaim a little bit of my life.

I have had a failed fusion at L4/5 has left me with permanent nerve damage to L4 and L5 nerves in the left leg. I've also had a second fusion surgery at L5/S1. I also have a very unstable SIJ that is particularly bothersome on the right side. I have to live with this for the rest of my life so decided that I had nothing to loose by giving the programs a go. I am not better and never will be but I have found a way to live with it. The physiotherapists, occupational therapists and psychologists in the programs taught me so much and gave me hope. I have wanted to die many times over the past 7 years but now I know that I can live.

Give it a go. You've got nothing to loose.
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    I had my l5/s1 fused twice. After the first one, I had a lot of relief for several months but then the pain returned except for the sciatica. I had the l5/s1 fused again, because the hardware cracked, but not until I'd been through the gamut of pain management options. The second fusion had no affect on my back pain. A couple of years later I had the l3/l4 and l4/l5 fused to the existing l5/s1 fusion. Reality is the only thing that helps me tolerate my pain is Exalgo and Nucynta. It is not easy to find a good pain management physician but there are some. Good luck.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 11/25/2015 - 9:40 AM
    Curious about you seeing different pain management doctors, who, if I understand you...
    They do not want to see you ...because they can not help you?
    Or, is it you do not find them helpful?

Have you had the multiple PM doctors during your eight years of fighting this pain?
    Or since your SI Joint surgery, five or six months ago?

Pain management is there for helping with the pain, even with unknown cause of pain.
    I know it can take time to find relief. A lot of trial and try again!
    And I know the frustration and feeling overwhelmed with relentless pain.

You mentioned PM didn't want to do injections, but also that your previous injections not effective.
    I know my PM will no longer perform the epidurals for my thoracic area as over the years we gave it the old college try, but they were ineffective.

But he will continue epidurals for treatment of my legs to toes pain, as that has proven to be somewhat effective in the past.

But it sounds good idea to have been with PM doctor to work with you after surgery.

I can understand about going to classes for coping may not be doable while in such pain.
    He may have been wanting you to learn some ..kind of like distraction skills.

Using the search on this site, upper right on page, you will find a post, The Blend.
    It has suggestions of ways we can help ourselves with that pain that remains in our life, ...despite our medications and or treatments.

I found that thread helpful and gave me ideas..as I tweaked it for my own personality and likes.

I also agree with posts above encouraging you to never give up!
    Continue telling your doctors how you are feeling, and emotionally, also.
    They all need to know how you are doing with all the enduring of the pain.

Don't stop talking!

I would give pain management another try!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History