Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

24 Year Old, Chronic Pain due to Muscle Tear after Gym Squatting (1 year)

Dsoglin33DDsoglin33 Posts: 4
edited 11/17/2015 - 8:31 PM in Chronic Pain
24 male, 5'7" 155 lbs from San Diego

I wasn't sure where to post this as my doctor refers to it as an acute injury, but as it's been over a year, seems to me that it's chronic. It's been a little over a year from when I was squatting at the gym with 200+ Lbs, trying to keep up with my bigger friend when, I heard a pop/tear sound. The feeling happened under my right shoulder blade. Within an hour, I almost couldn't move as I made my way to the nearest urgent care. The doctor told me I had thrown my back out, popped me back into place and told me I could resume normal activities within a week. Normal activities for me were playing baseball for my college team and hitting the gym 6 times a week. I continued my gym regime after a week, but still felt something wasn't right. A month after the injury was the first time I saw my primary physician. He told me it was a muscle tear and it would resolve within a few months. Didn't resolve. Only got worse, to the point where I have severe muscle imbalances to this day with muscle spasms and pain in my traps, under my shoulder blade and severe tightness in my lumbar paraspinals/laterals ONLY ON MY RIGHT SIDE.

Started physical therapy about 3-4 months after my initial injury which included massaging the spot of the initial injury, cupping therapy, and stretching every day. I worked my way up to the point where i was going 65-70% back at the gym and then re-injured it, this time much worse, as any activity triggered spasms and aggravated multiple areas along my right side of my back. My last physical therapist seemed conservative, so I decided to go to a new one, who my old chiropractor had recommended.

New physical therapist is claiming there is a decent amount of scar tissue buildup from the tear, which is decreasing my mobility and causing throbbing sensations sometimes during what seems like innocent activities. We're seeing improvement in the decrease of tissue and amount of mobility in my upper back, which is a good sign he says. He's got me doing core exercises, daily stretching routine, and 3-4 times a week, I'm doing 10 minutes on the stairmaster and some leg exercises that don't seem to aggravate anything. At this point, he's noticing that my Lat muscles seem short and that this could be causing lumbar pain? He says he will continue on this regime and if I seem to hit a plateau, we should consider Active Release Therapy (A.R.T.) or acupuncture. Some days I feel good, others not so much as I'm extremely tight in my lats and paraspinals and have an aching pain in the spot of the initial injury right below my shoulder blade or in different muscles right below it (Not sure of the names).

*X-Rays of Lumbar and Thoracic Spine- 3 small smorl's nodes consistent with "Scheurmann's Disease"- went to an orthopedist who shot the idea down that this was causing any symptoms
*MRI Thoracic Spine-Came back Clean
*Chiropractic Care didn't give me much relief at all
*Physical massaging of the area always gives me temporary relief, until I aggravate muscles, sending them into spasm/tightness for at least a day
*Ice and heat give me temporary relief

It scares me that a muscle strain could cause so much pain for so long, as its created these muscle imbalances, as my body is trying to compensate for the initial injury under my shoulder blade. If anyone has any insight, or has been through a similar situation, I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks, Dash
advertisement

Comments