Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Marijuana useage for pain control

SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
edited 11/18/2015 - 7:15 AM in Pain Management
I wanted to add to the recent thread re marijuana for pain management, but of course, I can't find it.
My cognitive issues to say the least. :)

I had epidural yesterday and asked my doctor what he thought about our state recently legalizing medicinal marijuana usage.
He surprised me.

He said he will never prescribe it because although legal by the state, it is still illegal federally.
The surprise came when he said, he never tests for it.

He stated he agreed to the many benefits from it, and he would not have problem if another doctor prescribes for any of his patients, but he would not.
He did say he needs to know all meds, so his patients would tell him and added that is why it needs to be prescribed.

He said the pill form of ingriedents from marijuana has been available to prescribe for years now, but not the same effects.
He said he prescribed that only twice in his long time career.

I started conversation with, "I don't want it and too expensive, but what do you think about....."
So, I will not have first hand knowledge.....at this time.

But, I thought interesting!
Spine-Health Moderator
Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi. I'm from England where it is still illegal. I must admit there have been a few times when I have been so desperate in pain when I have had a few smokes if my medication hasn't cut it. It gave Me the sensation of a warm fuzzy feeling around the painful areas in my back but it does have the strange effect of making my knees feel strange lol. My dad died a few years ago, he had ataxia, a neurological disorder. He smoked weed for years but when he got sick said it helped him a lot. Helped the pain and helped him sleep. I found on the few occasions I tried it I was drowsy the next day but I wouldn't have minded if I didn't need to get my daughter ready for school lol. I think if you have a legalized form it could be very useful for pain. I'd certainly try it if it was an option in the UK :) x
  • I am one waiting for when they legalize it here in Utah. I never dreamed I would say that but all the medications both narcotic and others have left terrible effects on my body and brain. Funny at this point I would try just about anything to find relief and I have begged for steroids plus numerous other medications and done all the blend with very little relief.
    There was a Doctor who I went to for several years that even suggested I smoke it, I found that strange.
    I've been thinking about asking my GP how he feels about it since it may be made legal here next year. Is there really a pill I have never heard of that. I know when my ex had cancer his friends tried to get him to use it but he refused.
    Thanks that is how I will approach my Doctor.
  • Laurie50LLaurie50 Posts: 1
    edited 12/02/2015 - 4:30 PM
    Marijuana is the only thing I have found to relieve the pain. I was told in 2002 that I'd be in a wheelchair in six months. Well, I'm not.... and it's all thanks to marijuana. I've had those horrible pain injections over three years. I've been prescribed the most horrible pills with terrible side effects! Don't bother arguing with me, any of you who are against marijuana. My pain free life speaks for itself

No one is going to argue you about this. There have been pages and pages and scores of threads/posts dealing with this subject. Use the search facility to find all the others that have discussed this in detail

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another.. That also includes marijuana.

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 12/02/2015 - 9:39 PM

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History