Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I still be having a lot of weakness and low back pain 5 weeks post opp of Alif on l5s1? Help

I feel like my pain in the low back area has stayed the same or gotten worse since my Alif on 10/20/2015. It hurts to get out of bed and especially when moving to a different position in bed. Plus the tailbone area hurts along with shooting pains once in awhile near the disc area. I just would think at this point I should improving and starting to get depressed. Any comments wild help! Thanks!!

• I too had l5/s1 10/23 and know what you mean about turning in bed! I turned last night and it was sore for sure..but just that..sore, not sharp.

I'm wondering how you feel when walking and moving? I feel best when walking. I hurt most when I have to move from a sedentary position, especially in my ankles( which is so weird to me because I never had ankle pain.) anyways, my discomfort dissipates with more movement and I notice that if I couple more activity with naps, I do best. So how do you feel after your walks?

After pt? Are you doing any Therapy yet? No big deal if not..mine is just twice a week at my house, we walk and do core excersizes. I had a 360 so I bet I am not nearly as Mobil as you are yet, but each day is an improvement.

If you are having any new pain or sharp pain..I would call my doc. I called mine today about the ankles. The nurse said okay, if it worsens she wants me to go get my X-ray moved up. I don't think I need to do that just yet, only will if pain increased. She agreed. So I feel better that I called and got my nurses opinion.
  • Hello,
    I feel fine when sitting and walking. There is a little pain when I go from sitting to standing but not much. And sometimes I get some pain when walking but only if I overdo it. I did call the nurse about the sharp pain and she said it was normal and it will get worse before it gets better. I see the DR in two weeks so I guess we will see how I feel then. Thanks!
  • I felt the same way after my Alif / Plif of the l4 l5 s1 in April of this year. I don't know what your dr told you as far as what to expect in your recovery but mine told me about 4 months. It has now been seven months and up until a week ago I didn't think I was any better off than before surgery. I dealt with tailbone, glute, and leg pain that really started to take its toll mentally. I brought it up at evey follow up appointment and was told everytime that i had major surgery that would take time to heal. I started physical therapy @ 3 months and things slowly started getting better. At about 5 1/2 months the pain got worse so they did another MRI and CT and both normal. Dr said scar tissue was pinching nerve. Two weeks ago I had another epidural shot ( they did nothing for me pre-op ) and have been pain free for the past week. Still feel weak and mobility still not 100% but no pain! I know all situations are different but I was exactly where you are and all I can say is hang in there, talk to your dr, and try not to overdo it. It has been a long process for me but I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!