Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello and happy to be here ...duplicate post

emerald94eemerald94 Posts: 5
edited 11/23/2015 - 1:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

It is good to have found this forum. I am looking forward to talking to people going through a similar thing.

As for my background infroamtion: I'm a 21 year old female, healthy, active. I think being so active is in fact a problem for me, because no one believes me I am in pain...

So 4-5 years ago now, I have had a laparoscopy to treat my minor endometriosis. A small hole was made in my abdomen to laser the endometriosis off my uterus. During this operation, no contact is made with your back. The operation went without any problems, except when I woke up from the general anaesthetic my whole back in a terrible spasm, this awful, stagnant tightness, and I had pains shooting down my shoulders as if both were pulled... Very strange. I was told this will subside so decided not to worry. I was actually informed those are 'bubbles of air' from the general anesthetic finding their way out. I have never broken anything and never been injured. So I though, ok, let's wait and see.

Over time, however, it didn't get better - it got worse. The shooting pains through the shoulders faded and went away, but what felt like a tight band around my bra-band area ensued... It got so bad, wearing a bra was torture because it felt like the band was pressing so hard into my muscles - both the band and straps. My neck and thoracic were always sore, with dull pain veering into my shoulders, and I tried everything - massage, chiropractic, even some physiotherapists who I would never go back to as they took a lot of money for doing very little. This went on for 2 years.

Then, I have found a better physiotherapist, a proper sports physio, who did manipulation on my back using the balls of his feet. This provided much more relief. Finally things got better, though from what I remembered a normal back feeling like pre-surgery, my back was still never 100%. I spent a fortune on those appointments and felt well enough to part take in 3 marathons over those 4 years. However, a lot of time after my spinal manipulation and massages, even when the back was loose, there would be an occasional spasm around my t5 - t6, like a very sharp sudden pain that went away just as quickly. The physio said I have a problem with my t-5 and t-6 being out of place, but I still didn't understand what that means. What I do know is my thoracic constantly cracks, the neck less so, but with the thoracic it is so much it actually scares me.

Now I never feel normal wearing a bra, the arms of sports bras feel so so tight on my back shoulders (as if they are DIGGING IN and radiating down my back although they might not be so tight) and currently going through a flare up. I am so upset. It's been 4-5 years of on/off tightness, back/neck pain, and I don't know what to do anymore. When I stretch it helps but never fully gets rid of the tightness/pain and sometimes the stretching causes a sensation of warmth.

I am getting an MRI soon and am terrified that if, say, it is a pinched nerve which has not been fixed through so much physio etc, then the only thing left is surgery. On the other hand, I read over other people's symptoms of pinched nerve, and they seem more severe than mine? But my pain and discomfort due to tightness are SEVERE. It's just that it's not going into my limbs (well i did think my grip got weaker but am not sure) too much as it mostly stays in the neck and thoracic and does not sound like some of the things described by other users on this forum.

Is it possible that a pinched nerve produces this sensation of tightness in my back? Is it responsible for the nerves to be 'picking up' the areas where the bra is causing me discomfort as if they are super tight and pressing down into my muscles, when they aren't? Also, if it gets better as i warm up with exercise but then returns to what it was or even worse, is it still possible it is a pinched nerve?

Right now as I'm typing it I have pain going through to my neck and down the column of my thoracic, and I can make vertebrae click if i move my neck back. I heard even during simple procedures strain can be placed on your back if you are being moved etc, and discs can be put out of place, but I was 16 at the time of operation, is it possible it caused such a severed slipped disc? I just don't know what to do anymore. I am so scared.

Duplicate post...Please follow link to member's thread

Liz, Spine-health Moderator