Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Loose screw two years post op

I just had a CT done today and it indicates a loose screw from my L5/S1 fusion. I haven't talked to the doc yet. My neurosurgeon had been doing injections for my pain without success. Would not have had the CT had I not sought a second opinion. Waiting to see the second doc (16 December). Question: Could a loose screw be the source of my back pain?

Chuck in Indianapolis

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 489
    Hi there....sorry to hear of your pain, I know that must be disappointing after having a fusion. Has the neurosurgeon that's been treating you discussed the new CT findings of the loose screw with you? Was wondering what he would have to say about it.

I had a laminectomy, L4-5 fusion last March, and have been experiencing some increasing sciatic, and hip pain in the last couple months. Other than the muscle/incision area, and that dead weight feeling from fusion, I hadn't had much pain until recently.

Since surgery I've only been able to tolerate 15 minutes of sitting before pain creeps in, so I just alternate what I do. I figure that was normal, but not the new pain that's started.

I was wondering if your back pain was there right from surgery, or if not, at what point did it start, and what kind of pain?

Prior to this last CT scan, when was your last X-ray taken?

My neurosurgeon says the X-rays of my fusion look good, but wanted me to go to pain management. Of course my mind went blank, and didn't ask the questions I should have.... like....then what is causing the inflammation that is causing me pain? Why does walking feel like I'm pregnant out my back again? I'll call and ask tomorrow.

I don't have the pain all the time, but the times are increasing, and lasting longer. Just this morning brushing my teeth, the slightest of leaning over the sink caused inflammation, at least that's what it feels like, and then increased as the day went on. Sadly, my stomach cannot tolerate taking anti inflammatory drugs, or I'd be taking those.

I did let the nurse know the other week I felt a catch, and a slide movement in fusion area as I went to roll over in bed. It wasn't painful, just stopped me from moving freely, like something caught/bone on bone kind of thing, then jumped back on track, sliding back into place. Don't know if that's normal or not.

Maybe I'm just healing really slow, but I thought the further you were from surgery, the more active you were (within recovery guidelines), your fusion would be stronger. But I've had to decrease my activity because of the sciatic and hip pain. I've even had burning legs and feet from walking recently, the first time since before surgery in March. It just feels like I'm going backwards in the healing process at this point. Hopefully, it's just temporary.....

Sorry to be such a whiner this morning.....just a little frustrated.