Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot Drop Heals

Hi All,

So Foot drop!!! it sux when it first happens too you! you loose hope quickly and think life is going to be so much harder dealing with this for the rest of you life potentially..... Well im here to tell you that there is hope!!!!!! YEAH!!!! foot drop does heal and you do get your foot back!!! it is slow and does take time but patience and pushing it at the gym is what it takes.......

I had a burst L4-L5 disc that compressed my nerve to zero and gave me drop foot! they operated and i had no movement after the surgery.
2 months after the surgery is when i got a small amount of movement back and month after month it slowly came back..... My foot went from -20 to -15 to -10 to -5 and is now at +5 which is incredible!!!! and its still healing everyday!! its been about 9 months since the surgery.

What helped me along the way...... Prayer to my Heavenly Father, trusting that he has a plan/path for me and that he can heal all or give you the strength to handle what ever may come your way.
Also the gym, walking, climbing stairs, do leg exercises, claf raises i bought a road push bike and cycle 3 times a week and love it!!! metally its amazing and is great for your foot and ankle!!!

Hang in there the is hope and proof in me that foot drop does and can heal.............

Timmy :)

• I'm so happy to hear that you have got your foot back and after only 9 months! It takes a long time for nerves to heal and regenerate! Your hard work and perseverance has obviously paid off!

I have nerve damage on my left at L4 and L5 as a result of complications during my first fusion surgery. I have lost use of some of the muscles in my glut, quad, knee, calf, ankle and foot. There was some improvement in the first year or so but then it stopped. I wear a 'blue rocker' AFO so that I don't fall, or sprain my ankle (which has happened a few times) and will probably have to wear it for life. I work hard to keep muscle tone and to develop other muscles in the hope that they will take over for the ones that don't work. As a result I have managed to avoid much of the obvious muscle waste that often accompanies ailments such as these.

I feel for anyone that has to deal with foot drop and am always so excited for those that recover. Hearing news like yours always gives me hope that my nerves are just slow and that one day I too will get the use of my leg back again as well!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I, too, am happy to hear of your healing!
    Thanks for sharing the good story and encouragement!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History