Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

War on Pain Patients

kaykay82kkaykay82 Posts: 1
edited 11/24/2015 - 3:59 PM in Chronic Pain
This has got to change with everything that's been happening in regards to how doctors treat pain patients, the pharmacies not fulfilling doctors orders for certain pain medications, the way the public has slowly been lied to and brain washed about pain medications and everything else involved.

Perhaps if a large number of people came together and gathered evidence, spoke to doctors, interviewed people, supplied proof ?????? and found an attorney who had a passion and the desire and ability to start something rolling in the court system - would at least be a start in changing this situation????

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 11/25/2015 - 7:11 AM
    this type of 'banding' or suggestions on pulling together forces to come up with a strategy. That needs to be done offline and not on our forums.

While we strive to provide as much information as possible to educate and support our visitors about medical options, we do not provide medical advise to any individual, nor do we allow participation in member surveys', polling, etc

One of the problems you might run into , is that the problem is not across the board. There are many states, where the doctors, patients and pharmacies have zero problems with narcotics.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Is there really states like that I thought all states were going through this. I am curious which ones are like that I might move Ha Ha.
    I do wish there was some way it could all be worked out.
    It is nothing to joke about so many of us deal with the frustration we can only hope it gets better.
  • I am not aware of this issue. Can someone give details? Is this a problem specific to people in pain management?
  • I find the same issues here. It seems that the state I am in thinks anyone taking pain meds must not be working. However, I take the pain meds to try to continue working and living my life as long as possible.

I have to take time off work to go to my Doctors office to pick up my prescription every month because they don't allow any refills, ever. And every "random drug test" at work requires that I wait until I get a call and scan a copy of my prescription to the testing lab. And I don't do anything but sit at a desk every day. It isn't like I operate heavy machinery or anything like that.

I know there is a potential for abuse of these drugs but it just seems like the only ones being punished are those of us that need these meds to maintain our quality of life instead of punishing the abusers.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I've been on this forum for about a year now and I've found the least understood thing is narcotics and pharmacies. I worked in a pharmacy for years and, if you think the "establishment" is watching you and your prescriptions you have NO idea what it's like working in the pharmacy with schedule drugs! It is a frequent occurrence that a pharmacy will run out of a narcotic- very frequent! If the pharmacy can only dispense 40 tablets when the script called for 60 the pharmacy must report that information to your prescribing doctor and to the state board.

Pharmacists do not have easy access to narcotics. Some pharmacies choose not to stock these medications at all because they increase the risk of store robberies. It usually has nothing to do with regular customers and more to do with someone knowing that a certain pharmacy dispenses OxyContin.

Here are a few suggestions when you are prescribed narcotic medications. - Ask your physician if they know of a pharmacist who they often deal with. Your doctor can call the pharmacy directly. If you are a frequent user of a pharmacy, continue using this one. Know that there is extra paperwork needing to be done when narcotics are dispensed. When you are speaking to a tech or a pharmacist do not speak loudly about your medications for your own privacy and for the safety of those working in that store. Ask that your paperwork be shredded at the pharmacy so no evidence shows up casually in your home garbage.

Many pharmacies have signs indicating that they do not dispense certain medications or there is a waiting period. Sometimes this is true or sometimes this is for safety. If a pharmacy cannot accommodate you it is not personal. They do not want people to suffer! They do not decide who they should or should not dispense to. Do KNOW that pharmacists must keep a record on how many narcotic medications and amounts you receive on a monthly basis and this information can go from pharmacy to pharmacy. Although you may not be drug shopping it is common and it is the JOB of the pharmacy professionals to keep you from dying!

Aside from keeping tabs on narcotic medications, pharmacists also watch antibiotics! People also doctor shop to get antibiotics!
    I have been on benzos, narcotics, loads of prescription medications over the years and in 4 different states. I have never been treated like a druggie or a person who doesn't work- I have always been treated as respectfully as I have treated others. Everybody has a job to do and some may not be as easy as others. Know that pharmacists work really hard to keep you safe and are held accountable for every medication in a pharmacy. There is not enough money to get me to go back to doing that kind of work. Counting pills is the FUN part.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)