Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My story so far...

I have 4 herniations between c2-c7, 2 large which are pressing into my spinal cord, and 2 smaller ones. Theproblem is that the two big ones are not next to each other so my neurosurgeon ,on my first appointment with him back in September ,said that I was a definite candidate for surgery but the operation would be huge with catastrophic risks!! His exact words!

He is concerned about my age -36- but as my MRI was 16 months old, he wanted an up to date one before further discussion.
I've had the MRI, (only a slight worsening )and at my next appointment he's going to discuss surgical options.
My next appointment has just come through....31st Dec & we're on holiday....typical :) going to rearrange later.

I really want to know what type of surgery he has in mind...anterior, posterior, fusion, replacement, the waiting is so tough! :)

Also I had a gp appointment yesterday & she's referring me for counselling as if the operation doesn't work, I've a long life ahead to suffer through! Surely I'd still be helped???

Anyway just wanted to share ;)

Would be good to chat to anyone with words of wisdom or anything!!
Kirsti x

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    edited 11/25/2015 - 3:33 AM
    No question that a multi-level spinal surgery (cervical) is more complicated and presents more risks than a single level fusion.

It does seem that more and more patients are having these multi-level surgeries I can not speak about surgeries when the bad discs are separated by good discs. I dont think I have heard of that before.

More than likely their will be some instrumentation (cages, plates, etc) involved.

Take a look at Cervical Spinal Instrumentation

ACDF surgery ACDF

But I am sure you want to know what approach and what type of surgery your doctor has in mind.

As far as age, I really believe that is in your favor. I can track all my surgeries from the time I was 28 until the last one at 64. Each year that passed, the recovery was a little harder and longer. Youth has its advantages!

Try not to look so far down the road. Take one step at a time. I am sure right now, all you want to know is what type of surgery your doctor has in mind. Once that is settled, then you can put a game plan into place. View a cervical surgery is being a success, so many others have had positive results. Dont worry about counselor at this point (unless you feel it is necessary)

One last thing, I know its harder in the UK to get appointments, tests, etc, but having a second opinion is very important
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have to agree, I feel my age is in my favour...

I said to my gp I feel that I have an excellent chance of a good outcome and that's when she referred me for counselling haha!!
    I understand what she means tho :)

I read those articles, I didn't realise that they used to wire the spine!
    Thanks again for your reply.
    Kirsti x
    Kirsti x
  • Hey Kristi
    Sorry to hear about your neck problems. You didn't mention your symptoms so it's hard to say what you should do. If you aren't to bad off I would wait on surgery. When I was first told to have two level acdf surgery I waited. I wanted to be in such pain I had no choice. After a few years when I was ready to have surgery my neurosurgeon told me to wait longer. I have neck pain, muscle spasms and left arm pain. I take pain meds, muscle relaxers and nerve pain meds everyday. Over the last few months I have developed headaches that stop me in my tracks. Now I am pushing to have surgery and it is taking forever. Pain management dr says my discs that are bad c5-c7 are not causing my headaches.
    If I can help just let me know. I can tell you what I have been through with all my doctors
  • My symptoms are - arm pain, shoulder pain, numbness in fingers, neck pain, headaches, foot drop - the usual!!
    Some days it's so bad and other days are ok...
    I worry about permanent nerve damage as its been 3 1/2 years since onset of symptoms.
    I can only work part time now as I've a family and I struggle to do everything, also sleeping can be an issue -although I have started taking gabapentin as of September and it has helped me sleep.
    I also take OxyContin, imipramine and I have just been prescribed Oramorph for breakthrough but it makes me sick to my stomach :(
    I wish I knew the best thing to do.
    It's a choice we have to make & live with....for good or bad!!
    Why has neurosurgeon said to wait for your fusion?
    Kirsti x
  • I also am worrying about permanent nerve damage. I have had almost same symptoms as you for at least five years. When I was first diagnosed with c5-c7 issues I wanted to wait until pain was worse before having surgery. When I was finally ready I had a new mri and then my neurosurgeon said it looks better than last one so lets wait. Now a year later I started have horrible neck pain at top of neck where it meets my head. Pain travels up over head to my right eye. When this happens it stops me cold. I can't hold my head up or focus my attention on anything. Latest mri is slightly worse than last one. Now I am just waiting on appointment with surgeon to see what he thinks. Wish I could tell you what to do but I can barely take care of my own problems. We sound a lot alike. I am tired of so many meds everyday. Let me know if I can help