Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rods not cut off and eroding c2 disc and muscle not reattached during surgery

Hi there, in a quandary.. Brief history first. Initial cervical fusion 94'. Comes 2010 and disc below goes out. Have that done February 2010 and lumbar l2-4 done March 2010. Have pseudoarthroses take place so have to have cervical revised April and June (twice as had to abort surgery). Diagnosed with arachnoiditis by what I thought was good surgeon in 2013 (happened in lumbar fusion whe couldn't walk afterwards). In april 2014 had cervical hardware removed and had anterior fusion c3-c7 and posterior c3-t3. I reported extreme pain, tightness and lack of range of motion post surgically.. Neurosurgeon diagnosed facial dehescence based on physical exam. Have had quite a few cts and X-rays. In interim lumbar went down with spondyliothesis and stenosis. Had anterior and posterior lumbar fusion with removal of old hardware and cages in february 2015. In August on follow up I was having leg radculopathy returning and upper whole area worse. Based on neuro exam of lumbar thought lumbar may have failed. Said was ordering MRI studies of both cervical and lumbar. Long story short, got run around regarding imaging, just found out never ordered cervical and lied to me about doing peer to peer with insurance to get lumbar approved. Finally got ct exams 2 days before seeing surgeon in October. When he looked at cervical image said "looks like someone was asleep at wheel during this procedure". Turns out rods were not cut off and upper ones are embedded and eroding c2 vertebrae. Also muscles not attached so proposed was going to go in today and fix the problems he caused but won't take my phone calls or see me presurgery and get call Monday nite from hospital ore admission saying surgery rescheduled for January. 11. NEVER got a call from him or his office about this change and now don't trust that he wants to fix me or coverup mistake.. Problem is getting any neuro or ortho guy to fix another surgeons mistake.. I feel not only like this pain and the arachnoiditis pain have me near my end but an being treated like damaged goods and somehow it's my fault when this doctor screwed up. Any suggestions ? Ps pain up back of head and behind eyes and temple horrible so wonder if occipital nerve affected...

• Generally after one year local neurosurgeons will see you, they may or may not be willing to do any surgery based on their assessment of the situation. I switched surgeons after having a microdiscectomy that went well, I just really hated the surgeon and his office staff. I was extremely lucky that the new surgeon decided to just go ahead and do my fusion 8 months after, but he did tell me that having the first surgery increased my risk for complications with healing from the second... I'm 3 weeks out form the second, so waiting to know on that still... Call around and see who might be willing to see you.
  • KP2015KKP2015 Posts: 3
    edited 11/29/2015 - 11:02 PM
    I think your approach needs to change as I have found in my own situation. It's best not to point fingers when you go in for a new consultation. Be very objective and simply tell them your symptoms, tell them your surgical history. Another thought that you may want to consider is to go outside the area that you live in. Usually even if these doctors are not in the same group; they know each other.

If someone has made a medical error; that a whole separate ball of wax. Generally you have 3 years once the error is discovered, keep that in mind. Good luck.