Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waiting for the call...

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ready for set-up round 2~

I'm waiting on the call from the hospital for what time to go in on Monday.

What are the odds it gets rescheduled again I wonder?

In Pre-op today the Nurse was not comforting at all. She just kept saying over and over what doosy of time I'm going to have afterwards. Comment after comment about how horrible it's going to be. And the difficulty I have with pain meds will just make it that much worse - she just kept going on and on!

Not comforting at all.

I did ask how long the surgery is supposed to take, she said a few hours. Hmm, more information here.

At least I can feel grateful if things aren't quite as bad as she has made it out to be (not that I expect that).
advertisement

Comments

• I hope your wait is over by now and you've heard something.
    IF you've been waiting for long I would give the hospital a call to find out.
    Good luck and post back and let's know how the call turned out..
    I hope it's all set for Mon...

Best of luck...

Lotus :)
  • I know its scary but there wasnt a bigger chicken than me on the face of the earth, after I was told i needed surgery I put it off for a little over seven months before i scheduled it, if I would of waited longer theyt wanted to do another disco grahm. I had a 360 fusion with hardware L4 L5 and S1 they gave me something when I got there for my nerves and they stayed on top of the pain the whole time as i did after being discharged, i really dont remeber much pain at all serious, my surgery was feb 08 and I was released from all restriction after 3 months... I had some nerve healing pain at 2 month post op but nuerotin took care of that and now i dont even take that...
    It was the best choice i ever made its give me a new lease on life, painfree.
    pm me if you have any questions
    god bless
  • I apologize for crummy nurses everywhere! :P I hate that she was so negative. Things will go fine. Everyone is different, but my PLIF was about 4 1/2 hrs. It is a rough recovery, but hopefully you'll get enough info here to know what to expect...that's a big part of it. Being sensitive to meds could be a good thing. If it's sensitivity in the sense that less is more...that's great. Just make sure everyone knows this!!! Those of us who have been on meds for a while have a harder time getting pain under control b/c people don't want to give you the meds you need. If it's side effect sensitive...not so great, and still let everyone know this. There's plenty of benadryl and nausea meds to get you through. Best of luck to you! See you on the other side! :) Andrea
  • They called:

I get to wait and call the hospital at 10:00 a.m. on Monday - showered and ready. It's a 45 minute to hour drive from home. Realistically I'm thinking 1 or 2 in the afternoon before I get in, then 4 to even 7 maybe before I get to recovery?

I will for sure be tossing cookies :sick: after surgery. Pain meds and an empty stomach - my worst enemies.

Is it really worth all this? Do I really really hurt that bad? How bad can it get before I would rather die than continue? Not that I would do anything extreme, just using it as a way to measure pain levels. When it gets like this I think I can live with any amount of pain - but I know it's nerves. I just really hate nausea, more than pain I hate the stomach stuff.

I hope that they call me in earlier - please please please!
  • I try so hard at this point to not feel sorry for myself, to not blame the driver that hit me that started me on this rollercoaster. The accident that changed my life and sentenced me to a life of pain. Not just my back, my ankle has to be fused in the future too (6 ankle surgeries and the count is going up), my shoulder that got caught in the steering wheel, the TMJ that the ENT Dr. thinks is related too.

Okay, I've whined - I'll be over it - mind over matter. Soon, I'll be over it. I promise. Not yet, still waiting - maybe I'll go meditate for a few.
  • Melisa,

Keep up the spirit! Don't let some uncaring nurse demoralize you. The important thing is that you are having your surgery. You will be fine. Just tell your doctor about your sensitivity ot certain drugs and hopefully you will not be sick when you wake up. I usually have the same problem, but I told them and when I came to I was fine.

I am going to send some positive thoughts for you.

Wishing you the best!

Hugs,
    Kin :) :) :)
  • At this point all you need to do is to think of what's good that's going to happen to you after surgery and keep thinking positive... dwelling on what happened wont help you any but make you more angry and in pain.

It's so understandable the nerves before your surgery and it's coming close, we've all gone through this and you did yourself too... It'll be over soon then you start concentrating on your recovery.... I'm sure in the hospital they know about your stomach problems with the meds and will help you with that.... I'm sure..

Keep yourself busy and just think right now your surgery time is coming soon and that's what you've been waiting for, for a relief from all of these pains...

I'm sorry about your accident and what it had caused you all these problems but you'll come out of this stronger and better.
    I had a car accident 2 yrs ago and I had TMJ and a broken molar out of this... I got treated for it but I know how painful is the TMJ can be...... I still get pains at times but not as severe as I used to have it..

Best of luck to you and keep your faith up.

My thoughts and prayers are with you..

Lotus :)

• Thank you all for being there when I had to complain. I don't do it often, I promise. Most people I meet have no idea I am hurting (well except for fellow back sufferers, there is a certain deliberatenes about back pain sufferers and how they move, I get 'caught out' by those that know how it feels)

Anyway,

Just came back to say that some one is listening - the hospital called again to move my time up! Yeah!

Now I'm to BE there at 10:00 instead of just calling.
  • I know how you feel. The "only if the other driver". I feel your frustration. I too was in two auto accidents where people just ran into me causing all sorts back problems. Just think, pretty soon you will be turning the page to another chapter. Yes, recovery will be tough but it is a step to becoming pain free. I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • I am 8 days out from my posterior fusion. It was not as bad as I had hyped myself up to thinking it would be. My arrival time was 7AM. By 7:45 I was in the pre-op room with my anesthesiologist. As soon as he got my IV going he gave me something to relax me and it worked very well. I do remember being rolled into the OR and then I woke up in recovery. I did end up needing both of the units of blood I donated and I had low blood pressure the entire time I was hospitalized. It took a long while to get me to my room and while waiting I was fed ice chips and kept comfortable with meds which included Ativan. I finally had a room by 5 PM. The worst part for me was when they moved me from the gurney to the hospital bed. They had me up walking within a coupe more hours. It might have been 25 steps or so, nothing but a short lil' walk. Everyday I got a little stronger and "braver" cause it is scary. I ended up with a 5 inch incision and aprox 25 staples. I feel like I am doing very well. My best advice to you would be to practice the log roll, get it down before the surgery. Also if you have a brace practice wearing it putting off and on and have your helper practice a time or two.

They gave me morphine shots every 3 hours for the first 24-30 hours and then we switched to percocet which has worked well for me.

Now at home for 4 whole days I alternate from sleeping, walking (inside for now) and short periods of sitting.

My biggest problem at this point is sluggish bowels from the perc and if things don't improve for me soon in that dept I will have to put a call in to my dr.

Ok I've been up too long and wrote too much lol. I hope it helps some what. You will do just fine. Think it know it be it!

Enjoy your weekend the best you can!!

good luck!!

Kelly Jo

• Yay saltz! I'm glad you got your time. Just try not to flip our over the weekend thinking about it. I'm sure youll have days you try and talk yourself out of it and think geesh I dont really need this surgery but that'll just be your nerves talking.

I'm sending best wishes your way and hoping for a perfect surgery and recovery :)

Christina
  • Good luck on Monday! I totally understand your nerves. I have 2 1/2 weeks left before my fusion, and I am so scared already. I too have questioned if I should go through with it. Please know that Negative Nursy doesn't speak for the profession. I like to encourage my patients and keep a positive attitude for them. Patients should be educated, not scared by their nurse.
    Make sure you tell the anesthesiologist about your nausea tendency and they can give you some good anti-emetics in the OR to help combat it. They might even put you on something around the clock or at least make it available every few hours after surgery. At work we use Zofran and Reglan the most. It seems to help. I hope you can have a peaceful weekend. I plan to break out the Xanax a few days before my surgery. Take care, I'll say a prayer for you, Sue

advertisement