Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unfortunately I'm back

vgallaghervvgallagher Posts: 11
edited 12/01/2015 - 5:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was doing very well after my ALIF/PLIF 2-level spinal fusion surgery back in June 2013 for a Level III spondylolisthesis. Got through a 10 hour surgery not too bad and was able to get off the drugs in two weeks time because the pain at that time was the same as the pain I had before the surgery. Was finally able to shower without help after 6-weeks and able to sit for longer periods of time in a chair at about 8-weeks. Went back to work after 3-months. Finished therapy at 9 months and doing very well and able to stretch better than what the therapist thought I would be able to.

I'm now at 2-1/2 years after surgery. Recently, I noticed muscle spasms in my left calf (which was the weak leg to begin with) and just general weakness in my back, bad posture, upper back, neck and shoulder pain, the whole works. It's been creeping up on me and get worse as time went on. I decided to go see a chiropractor for some relief.
They did an x-ray on my spine and showed me where the L5 has slipped again - to a level I. I wanted to argue with the doctor that it couldn't be - but there it was right in front of my face on the x-ray and yes this why I've come to see them. The symptoms I'm having are the some of the same symptoms as before.

So far, I'm still better than I was before - sleep is still a relief and I can still sleep on my back which helps a lot to reduce the leg pain (For years I could not sleep on my back before surgery). The chiropractic service has helped with the upper back and neck pain - total relief. They do not do any hand manipulation at all on the lower back - and I make sure they don't. They have been able to help with the terrible Charlie horses (muscle spasms) I was having in the legs and hips.

Now I'm worried - do I need more surgery to fix the slip? Is it still slipping? (most likely since the pain is progressing.) Can I wait? For how long?
I left a message with my surgeons nurse - I did miss her call - she left a voice mail, need to make an appointment asap, which is what I want to do.

I'm relatively young (early 50's), in good heath (retired military & former aerobics instructor, still exercise & eat right - not overweight, don't smoke) but I'm a widow with grown children scattered everywhere. There is no one at home to help with another surgery - the first one was a blessing to have 2 of my 3 kids around to help. Don't think it will happen this time.

Well - I'm just getting all this off my chest - the worries and problems of a bad back. Will see what the neurosurgeon says after I get an appointment.

Isthmic Spondyliothesis Level II - III
ALIF/PLIF L4-L5-S1, 2 cages, 2 rods, 6 screws (6/10/2013)