Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I saw my OS today. He offered two routes to get relief from my Sciatic pain. I either could do spinal epidurals or have the MicroDisketomy. I have already done the epidurals in the past. They didn't work all that great. So I opted for the surgery. I am scheduled for Monday! I can't believe how fast this is happening. So I did my PAT today and then stopped by my PCP's office and got an EKG done. Also I spoke to my PCP and he is happy with the doctor that I have. So that makes me feel better as well.

The ONLY way to fix my back with no guarantees is a fusion. I just want the sciatic pain to go. I can leave with a backache. I am used to those.

Good Luck!

• I don't know what a micrdiskectomy entails but I wish you luck tomorrow. Please let us know how you are feeling and when you get back home.

• ROBIN:

I had a hemilaminectomy in 2/06. The sciatic pain was totally unbearable for me. HOWEVER, when the nurse was wheeling my bed from the operating room to the recovery room I woke up. I COULD TELL THE OPERATION WAS A SUCCESS RIGHT THEN AND THERE. Yep. I was up walking around the hospital that afternoon and night (after the anaesthesia wore off) and left the hospital a day early. The only problem was that I waited so long to have the surgery and that caused permanent nerve damage (the disc pressing on the nerve) in my right leg. I still have other back issues that plague me, but I do have to consider that surgery a success.

The only thing is that I felt so good that I went back to normal every day things, where I should have taken smaller steps (build up gradually).

So, if your doc says take it easy - no matter how well you feel, TAKE IT EASY!

I wish you much luck and success with your surgery. Keep us posted, 'k?

• Hi Robin, hope your surgery went well i had this procedure last friday and have felt brill since like #2 said soon as i was woken the pain down the legs was gone hopefully it will be the same for you and as was said already take it easy even though you will feel great,good luck! chris.
  • I feel SO much better! I woke up free of Sciatic pain. It has been a week. Last Monday morning when my doctor told me that I would be feeling better after the surgery, I was hopeful. This is amazing. Don't get me wrong, I still have some numbness in my right foot and I feel like a mule kicked me in my lower back, but the Sciatic pain is about 80% gone! It only flares up when I do too much. I am learning to listen to my back. I am taking 3 weeks off from work. I hope that will be good enough. I work in cube world, so my biggest problem is sitting all day.

Good luck to everyone!

• Let me say congratulations and best wishes in the next few weeks. I am trying to get this operation done soon so it helps to hear a success story.

Relax and get well soon.