Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 micro recovering

TallgrassTTallgrass Posts: 2
edited 12/02/2015 - 2:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to share my surgery experience with others as reading through the forum posts was very helpful prior to my surgery.

I'm a 42 year old male. My back was injured after a fall 3 years ago. MRI showed disc protrusion at l4/l5. Surgery was a last resort, but conservative treatments (epidural steroid) did not improve the constant pain in my butt/hip and shooting down my leg. Sunburn feeling on tops of my feet and could not easily walk without limping, but I was able to avoid opioid painkillers. Initially the pain was on my left side only, but recently became worse on my right side including a paralyzed/burning feeling in my hamstring when I tried to exercise (run, jump rope, shadow box) A more recent MRI showed increased protrusion and degenerative disk disease.

I decided to get surgery based on my worsening symptoms, but I was really terrified. I was not living with debilitating and unrelenting pain, but was very restricted on the activities that I could do and pretty miserable at work. Lots of aching lower back cramps and soreness at the end of the day. I am a couple of days post op from microsiscectomy on l4/l5 and am optimistic about my recovery.

When I woke from anastesia I was in pretty bad pain. I was sitting up slightly and it felt like my vertebre were grinding together. Thankfully I was able to avoid the catheter and pee on my own and get out of there. I was given 2 norcos by the nurse which helped me out quite a bit. The surgery took over 2 hours which was surprising. I did not see the doctor afterwards to talk about how it went. He let my wife know that it went well, and based on how I feel, I think it was a success.

I have been very stiff and sore as expected but the sciatica has disappeared. I was so used to it that it is almost a tangible absence of pain where it used to radiate. I am cautiously overjoyed. I have also noticed that I have a much stronger urine stream, I thought that I was having age related prostate issues but I think the weak stream stemmed from the nerve impingement. I also had some minor erectile dysfunction issues that I attributed to age as well but without saying too much has improved. Not that I can do anything about it right now, but I am very happy about that too.

I have gotten by on 1 norco 3 times per day but have difficulty getting into different positions, off and on the bed or couch. I can definitely feel them wear off with the vertebrae soreness and incision pain, but still no sciatica when walking. A twinge here or there in my butt when adjusting but better than before. I hope and pray it doesn't come back.

My incision is much larger than I expected, like 5" long. I don't know if they can vary that much, but I was expecting a 1 or 2 inch scar. Pretty tender all along the right side of the incision.
I plan on asking the doctor about this and also how much disk material was removed. He said that recovery time was 4-6 weeks but I am going to take it very slowly as recommended by those on this forum, I want to get back to an active lifestyle but am worried about reinjuring and needing fusion. My heart goes out to those who are still living in pain, I am hoping that I will be one of the success stories.