Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having Children as Chronic Pain Patient

I am not planning on having children right now, but for future reference, I have a few questions/concerns. Of course I will discuss this with my PM doctor when the time comes, as he said we need to.

One of my concerns is having to stop pain medication, I am already in constant pain as it is (as we all are here); pregnancy pain on top of chronic pain is my main concern. I have read that some women continue pain medication while pregnant, but I don't want to risk the welfare of the baby.

Basically, my question is for any chronic pain patients who became pregnant while taking pain medication. How did you go about the situation? Did you use any other pain modalities?

• You may be quite surprised that your pain levels may improve drastically when pregnant. The surge in hormones in women while pregnant often contributes to decreased pain levels.
    Also using other modalities to manage pain can be surprisingly helpful, and far more effective.
    Even in patients with chronic pain, they often can use meds on an occasional basis, and manage pain far more easily than you would imagine.
    Most doctors would prefer that you not use medications since in different stages of pregnancy, can cause significant problems, along with withdrawal in a newborn.

• SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 459
    I found that for the first six or so months of my pregnancy, my pain reduced. At that time I only had hip and knee pain. I had a pretty sedentary job, and rested once I got home because I was tired!! Probably just wasn't aggravating my knee and hip so much due to much less activity. However, the pain became very intense in my final couple months, and was horrible during actual labor and delivery. No meds, except for the doctor ordered 2 xs Tylenol and a coke (which helped so much when needed!!!). Wish I could get such easy relief now!

Caring for a small child while in constant pain is something else to strongly consider. It's very, very difficult a lot of the time, and, much as you try, it is difficult to impossible to be the parent you wish to be (and that brings on a lot of guilt, shame, pressure, etc.) It helps to plan out how you will handle everything and to get your natural supports (family, friends, etc.) on board to help as much as possible. 

Best wishes :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" /> 
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 459
    Oh! As far as other pain control....heating pad became my best friend! Same as it is now. 
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 88
    My boyfriend and I unfortunately decided that within the foreseeable future, we won't be having children due to my medical issues and medications. I've often asked the same thing, because I've realized that I really want a child, I just can't have one right now.
    Kieran Lee
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

• krclivesnpain2kkrclivesnpain2 United StatesPosts: 2
    edited 04/20/2016 - 9:53 AM
    Hi all.. my boyfriend and I are considering having a child.. my plan is to hopefully get the stimulator and then proceed with pregnancy while I come off the meds as I Def don't want to take pain meds while pregnant. Has anyone been pregnant with the stimulator? Reading the other posts I think it I'd quite interesting that pain decreases during pregnancy.. my first pregnancy was not like that which is why I am so terrified of having another one.. the aftercare of course like someone else said is by far my biggest challenge and fear. . My boyfriend has pretty much implied that without a child his life would be incomplete.. any thoughts to my idea? Does anyone think getting the stimulator prior to pregnancy and for the after care would help with my situation, doubts, fears, or concerns? 
  • You would have to talk to your doctor about that. You would need to discuss it with your pain management doctor as well as your OBGYN. They will have to work together to come up with a plan best suited for your situation.