Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to expect?

49yo Male.. 6'2" 235lbs

Back in April of this year, I had Lumbar Laminectomy on my L4/L5
Things have progressing slowly and I was gaining more mobility with the surgical pain subsiding as time passed.
Then, at the end of October, out of nowhere, I felt a sharp pain in my back while I was driving.
By the time I got home, I had a shooting pain in my right hip and increasing pain in my calf the longer I stood.
Great, Ive got Sciatica !

I wasn't worried too much about it because through the post-surgical recovery, I had encountered it twice.
First time went away in about 2 weeks and the second time was triggered by Physio which went away in about 3 weeks.
I was prescribed Gabapentin by my surgeon but all that did was make me sleepy.

Now, it's been 6 weeks and the pain is not only going away, but it's getting worse and the amount of time I can stand or walk is reducing.
i called my surgeon at the 4-week mark when I realized it wasn't going away and he's since ordered a new MRI with the dye injection this time.
Unfortunately, I live in Canada so wait times are currently 3 months for an MRI here.

Prior to surgery, I'd never had Sciatica. Ever !
The reason I was a candidate for surgery at all was due to a major rupture of my disc between L4/L5 that had caused some bone fragments to float around dangerously close to the nerve.

My question is, what is the most likely course of action I can expect ?
I realize the MRI will reveal more details, but should I expect that I'll be tossed to the curb the way I've read so many other stories on this site ?
Or, since I've had surgery already, is the likelihood of another surgical procedure slim to none due to scar tissue ?

Just not sure what to do..
People have asked me if I regret having the surgery now and I can unequivocally say, YES.