Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

myelogram results in...c5/c6 is the winner! Anyone else?

Ok so Dr said I have to come in and talk on Tuesday so I guess this will be when he says, you will need surgery and what kind. Said that they see why my right hand is numb and I hurt on the right because I have right foraminal stenosis (foramen is the casing around the nerve pathway) at c5-c6 secondary to concentric disc bulge (this is what is causing the foramen to be squeezed and pinching off the nerves) and osteophytes (bone spurs) and they are not sure why I am not screaming with agony on my left because it is worse there at my c6-c7 because the disc protrusion is flattening the left of my spinal cord. Also a bulge at c4-c5 but not a concern. He said C6 is my offender for certain.

Glad to know I'm not crazy, scared as hades for what is most likely coming now but hopeful of a pain free upper body at least because the SI joint will always be a problem but one thing at a time right now.

One large question I have for those that may know, do they always do fusions on cervical issues or do they ever do microdiscectomys or such less invasive procedures like they have the option of on lumbar repairs? Reason I ask is that I all I ever read about where cervical repairs are discussed is fusions being done. Just curious....Hoping they say it can be the minimal stuff rather than fusion.

• hi,
    i have a herniation at c5/6 with radiculopathy in my right arm (diagnosed by mri, nerve conduction tests came back fine) and am probably going to have surgery, but am having a steroid injection first.
    anyway, i have spoken to my surgeon and he said that i could have either a fusion or a foraminotomy (i think) - but basically a microdiscetomy. i am currently thinking about the pros/cons of each - and have a big list of questions for when i next see him. but generally i think the main disadvantages of microdiscetomy are recurrent herniation and pain etc as the disc continues to degrade - but the advantage is that it doesn't structurally change your neck. so it would probably depend on whether your surgeon thought you were a candidate - depending on the stability of your spine, type of pain, etc.. i guess it would be less invasive, but i think it is harder to get to the spine because they have to go through all the muscle etc at the back of your neck...
    the other option to look into is a disc replacement...

anyway, i have also noticed that not many people seem to get cervical disc surgery that isn't a fusion or replacement... so i would be interested to know if that's a possibility for you.

good luck!
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 99
    edited 12/03/2015 - 3:29 PM
    Thank you for replying! Please if you can, let me know what you find out and if you have ever surgery and I will post on tuesday after my Dr appt also. Good luck and sorry you feel my pain too. Ha when is your next appt? Thank you for that info also and I hope the shit brings you some relief because it did nothing for me at all.
  • hey,
    my next appt is friday for the injection (they just phoned me now to book it) - i'm hoping that the local is good as a diagnostic, even if i don't get longer term pain relief....
    i think i go back to see the consultant after that, but i'm not sure - i will prob give them a call if i don't hear anything by a week or so after (they are normally really good at appt/referrals/etc.). so i will prob ask my list of questions then - also they have to get preapproval from ACC (the part of the new zealand public health system that covers accidents) - so i might ask to get the process started for surgery - though i will prob try and put it off until i finish my phd (hopefully march ish) .... - but don't want to be ready for surgery and then have a big delay...
    good luck with your appt !- def let me know how it goes. i actually asked my consultant about just going in and "tidying it up" - though that operation is on the info sheet he gave me - so assume pretty standard in NZ (apparently don't really do many disc replacements here...) (and he prob would have said anyway if i hadn't asked)
    Ok appt done and here is the news. ACDF C5/C6 and c6/C7 on Dec 21st. Argh! So scared but waaayyyy past rdy to hopefully end the pain and annoying numb hand. Got to research it to death now to see what all I don't know ha.
  • Really pleased you're getting sorted and I really hope you keep us posted :) I'll definitely be looking out for your surgery story.
    Do you live alone or do you have a partner? Kids?
    Kirsti x
  • good news that it will be over and done with in a couple of weeks - and less time to be scared! i think theres loads of info on this site about handy post-op tips etc - that might be worth checking out (i think how to make doing stuff like getting dressed easier...)

good luck - keep us updated on how you get on
    Kirsti...thank you and yes I'm married and have a 13yr old daughter and they are both great help to me. As soon as I feel able to, I am definitely going to post :).

NZ---thank you and I will keep you updated. What's funny is that they wanted to do it next Thurs and I was like oh no that's too soon and now I wish it WAS for Thurs. lol I'm like lets get this over with because the waiting is making me anxious and pain would be over sooner but oh well. Having to rush up my xmas shopping that I normally leave until the last few days before xmas now. haha

Merry Christmas to you all in case I can't get on before then!!
  • merry xmas and hope it goes well (if you see this before...)
    at least xmas shopping will distract you! ( i always have a hectic day in december when i realise im about to post the post deadlines to send stuff back home to the uk...)
    good luck!