Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain medication after surgery

Moveebuff1953MMoveebuff1953 Posts: 3
edited 12/15/2015 - 5:19 AM in Recovering from Surgery
After my surgery I was still doped up when I got to my room. I had a morphine pain pump and catheter inserted. Sure enough around 10pm the pain because excruciating. I did not get any sleep at all.... zero. When the night nurse (Ratchet) came to take my blood pressure I told I was in extreme pain & that I can't sleep. She said well just push the pain pump every 5 minutes...I said how can I sleep if I have to push a pain pump every 5 minutes? She just left. Gee thanks alot. The next morning the "real nurses came in and they were so nice. They showed me how to get out of bed how to sit etc. They gave me a pain pill to help ....nice.
Then nurse Ratchet arrived. I ask her to please bring me some water and ice chips. You'd think I asked her to cook me a gourmet dinner.
I need to get up so I pushed the call button...."Yes she says" I need to get out of bed. "Well you know how ....just use your walker." Well I would do that if it was close by but it was at the other side of the room. So she came and brought the walker over....did she help me out of bed? haha as if that was in her job description....oh yah...it actually is. I then asked her if I could sit on a chair before getting back in bed and she said "well you will have to sit there for an hour" fine....w/e just go away. The the nurse for my roommate came in and I asked her to please help me get into bed. She smiled...yes smiled and helped me back to bed. Still could sleep so me & my roommate tried to make each other laugh b/c she couldn't sleep either. Nurse Ratchet shows up and asks us to keep the noise down. Oh I said did someone complain? No ....no? the [EDIT] is your problem? So we just kept chatting..[EDIT].
I just couldn't wait to get the hell out of that hospital so lucky for me my friend is also a nurse at the same hospital & she discharged me.

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 722
    edited 12/03/2015 - 10:17 PM
    Pretty funny stuff now... maybe not at the time however. I remember my stay(s) in the hospital... mostly great nurses!!! I do remember however one nurse that sent me through the roof trying to get an IV started in my hand. She jammed it in there and it didn't take... so she just keep ramming it further and I was like screaming in pain and bouncing off the ceiling... but she just keeps digging it around like she is digging for gold. Finally I screamed at her to STOP. She does finally stop but says... "I know what I'm doing"... my reply is NOT printable. So my wife who was in the room at the time asks her to get someone else to start the IV. About 5 minutes later she comes back but now with a fellow nurse. The fellow nurse proceeds to insert the IV needle into my hand almost pain free... and it works fine. From then on out... the first nurse (don't remember her name... but for sure I remember her face) was on the black list for any new IV needles!!!
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015