Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

living with sciatica after herniated discs .Looking for support and to hear other peoples storys .

jazz1415jjazz1415 Posts: 3
edited 12/03/2015 - 4:55 PM in Chronic Pain
I have been diagniosed with a hernaited discs in th6- th7 and in my lower back L5-S1, and L1-L2 since september 2015. I am a nurse and work night duty. Luckily my work schdule is good so i only work 70%. . I changed physiotherapist recently about 3 weeks ago as the other physiotherapist was doing nothing for me. She was not interested in her job anymore and it showed in her work. My back got worse and i decided through my doctors advice to change physiotherapist. My new physiotherapist is great. Passionate, energetic ,and shows that she cares about me. More hands on in showing me new exercises ,and not afraid to push me as chronic pain can make you feel like you give up . My pain i have theese days are in the lower back.Between my buttocks, and always have a uncomfortable sensation or pressure/ strain in my right leg.
Before my injury i was a regular active gym bunny. I worked out 4 times a week strenght training and always liked to be on the go. I always stood up when they were short nurses on my days off .But didnt overdo it.I like to work extra , and i love my job helping the elderly.
Unfortunately it is a all too common problem ( back pain) that can come with my line of work. Helping sick elderly with alzeimhers , stroke and acute confusion is not optimal all the time when it comes to looking after your back health. I always lifted carefully as i thought, and at the gym was careful to not to lift too much. But then bang! in the end of july i developed a gradual acute lumbago ( unspecified acute back pain). I was off work for over 2 weeks and was told to rest and seek physiotherapy. I also seeked help from a napraprat ( thats the swedish word for it as i live in sweden.. but am irish). Basically they are like a chiropracter in a way in which they specilise in back manipulation and massage. I went once a week for a month after july and thought it would help. But my partner was not satisfied with my progress and wanted to help me.So he recommended i go see another napraprat who was his friend and he was very nice and professional.
But very strong too. I continued on working my job with some right leg discomfort and the odd flare up of a back spasm once every 10 days. But by the end of the month after my last naprapat treatment my back gave out. He did a manipulation in both my upper back and lower back. I dont blame him , maybe my back was getting to that point of giving out. I worked 3 nights of night duty after my treatment and by the end of my 3 night shifts i was in extreme pain my upper and lower back.
Anyway from early september i was on sick leave .I will never forget the first week of my back pain. I was in such agonyy. My whole upper back and neck were in constant spasm and strain in the evening times.I was on codeine 30mg and paracetamol 500mg for pain releif and valium (muscle relaxant ) for muscle spasms.That didnt even help .It only dampend the pain level down a bit ,and i was drowsy and sleepy at first from taking the medicine. I eventually got prescribed oxynorm 5 mg to take when the pain was very bad. This was all back in september .
In October my upper back problem got better.No neck spasm and upper back strain seldom. Still feel occasionallly if i sit by the computer mid chest pain from my upper back hernia. It feels like theres an arrow in my center of my chest thats stuck there. It doesnt physically hurt all the time but a sensation that something is irritated or stuck there. Thats too be expected from having a herniated disc up here on th6-th7 with little nerve involvement.
Now its december. Ive changed physiotherapist as i said. But still fight my right led nerve pain / sciatica on a daily basis. Chronic pain is not nice to have. I am not in dire circumstances as i see what other people write on this forum.But can totally agree and understand what it is like for a person or patient now who lives with chronic pain. I have been recently precribed gabapentin . I only take it at night time (200mg) .Just got precscribed it a week ago. I know that you are to take it like 300mg 2 or 3 times a day.But i need to function and work . I will not work if i am taking medicine for back. Its unprofessional and can impare ones judgement. So i take the medicine befgore i go to bed. On my days off i have taken 1 x 100mg gabpentin to alleviate nerve pain in my right leg. Oh my god the side effects of this stuff, especially the fact that i was awkw when taking it.
I felt spaced out, like im outside my body, brain fog, hard to concentrate, tired in my eyes.Sensitive to bright lights. My tongue and mouth felt fuzzy. I want to see if there is any one out there in my similiar situation, and we can talk to each other to stay strong. I know that acute disc herniation can take 6 weeks to 6 months to heal. Even with that there is no guarantee that my back will be better in 6 months time.Thats what i find so distressing.If you have a broken arm or leg.The doctor can fix it with a cast or operation , pain meds and 6 weeks you are expected to be better.With the back its sad to say but still a developing unknown treatment for the doctor. Surgery is the last resort and i dont want to even think about that.The complications of spine surgery can be determental on your life if it goes wrong, and there is no guarntee that it will solve your probelm. Right now its physiotherapy , keep active mentally and physically as much as i can.But i dont push it. I have learned to appreciate the small things in life such as been able to walk 3 km on a day without starting to limp on my right leg because my back starts to give up . I am just looking for friendship and a brother or sister in the same situation as me so we can talk about our day and help each other out. It feels good to have to talk to someone else who knows what it is like to struggle with this horrible chronic pain and discomfort. So hope to hear from someone out there ! Stay strong everyone!

• BManBBMan Posts: 113
    edited 12/04/2015 - 5:09 AM
    You have quite the story and deserve recognition for helping so many people through your line of work. Like you, I suffer from sciatica, but we all suffer in our own ways. For me, sometimes the nerve pain feels really cold (especially when sitting at the office). It helps me, on a warm day, when I step outside into the sun. I take walks and do some cardio, and I hate the increase in nerve pain that often comes at the end of a workout or a walk.

I feel nerve pain in many areas of my body (some of it mild, some of it moderate), and that affects my mindset when I begin to wonder how pervasive my problem is and will be. I think about helping myself with exercise and increasing my strength, but that desire always has to be tempered by the knowledge that my spine cannot withstand the type of jostling, pressure, and heavy duty I've put it through in the past.

Thanks for sharing your story.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    edited 12/04/2015 - 3:51 PM
    I've had surgery on L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, S1-S2 (yeah I do). My last back surgery was in 2008 and the surgeries were for when I had started to lose functioning. I now have a bunch of other disks bulging and herniating, and tearing and I think my head may spin 360 degrees some days! What bugs me is the nerve pain like sciatica that is debilitating and freakish. No tissue damage but the nerves sending pain messages. I've found a TENS unit which sends out little bursts of electrical stimulation to be helpful. It doesn't alleviate the pain but it seems to distract me.

Seriously, I should wear the TENS unit more frequently but I have problems getting the electrodes to stick well. Back in 1997, before my first surgery I found the TENS unit to be wonderful. NO doctor back then would give me more than an aspirin and the TENS helped. Now anyone can buy a TENS unit from Amazon- same one I was sent by a medical supply company but cheaper on Amazon! You may want to try it out. Can't hurt- well, not more than you currently do!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • What helps my sciatic nerve pain is soaking in a hot tub. It is temporary, but if it is before bed and I'm laying there throbbing and can't lay there any longer, I get in a hot tub. It relaxes many muscles and quiets the nerves. It comes back after the bath, but the 15 minutes of relief is worth it.
    Crack, pop, oww, grunt,pop...I'm ok :)
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    edited 12/06/2015 - 11:10 AM
    i had very horrible leg pain from a shoveling snow injury 3 years ago and initially they missed my disc herniation on the MRI. It took 5 months until they decided to remove a piece of extruded disc. At the time they left my disc alone and now 2 1/2 years later I have a new herniation! I have horrible leg pain again!! I tried PT and lots of other modalities, a DO, acupuncture, massage. I went through 5 Therapists until I found a good one. Back pain has changed my life and the surgery was somewhat helpful but I have not ever been the same and now it has failed! Very frustrated and not sure what now!