Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is Cervical Issues really a big deal?

Hi! I am getting my C3,C4,C5,C6 fused because I have DDD,ostearthritus,bulging discs,kyphosis ( really bad) and stenosis.
The Dr told me if I didn't do the surgery soon that I would be paralyzed! Is this true?? I already have had 3 spinal fusions on my Lumbar to my SI. And I am in horrific pain from those surgeries.
So do I have to do the surgery? Because I am not in that much pain in my neck. More in my lumbar. So I am confused. Any answers would help.

• rtconant1rrtconant1 Posts: 348
    edited 12/08/2015 - 3:25 PM
    The issues in your neck can be a very big issue. You may not feel that much pain but there can be serious issues anyways. I did have lots of pain in my neck before my fusion and I still do. It can affect everything when your spinal cord is compromised in your neck. Your balance and coordination, walking. pain. If you aren't sure what your doctor is telling you what is right, get another opinion. I was at the point where the compression on my spinal cord was compressed and I was losing the function in my arms and my legs were starting as well. The compression was relieved but the damage to the nerves and the spinal cord in that area is permanent according to the surgeon. Don't let things go too long, The affects can be long lasting
    Tracie C
  • Yes, it's serious...for a number of reasons. It's still your spine. I agree with the other poster that if you're unsure as to the seriousness of this, or with your Dr's recommendations I'd get a second (or even third) opinion.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    it can be dangerous. That is why it is very important to understand what your doctor is recommending in terms of action plans. You always hope for the conservative treatments first. But then there are times when surgery is a must.

Many times when you have disc related problems in specific areas, you may not feel any pain directly there. For example, some lumbar patients with L4/L5, etc disc problems, do not feel any pain in their lower back, but instead in their but and if sciatica down their leg. When I had my cervical issues, I really never felt any neck pain. It was more about daily headaches, tingling in my arms and hands.

Multi-level cervical disc fusions seem to becoming more common. I still believe the ACDF surgery and the titanium plates/screws/hardware they use corrects the situation. I believe Denise (DeniseO_o) could agree. I remember that before her surgery, she had a little apprehension as does anyone facing surgery. After her surgery, I think she had so much success. A true picture of how spinal surgery should work and correct the problem.

Whenever faced with surgery, it is so important to have total trust and confidence in your surgeon. Without that, its like coming up to bat with 2 strikes already against you.

I'd also listen to the two above posters. They are very correct. It is important to get a second opinion to be sure of what actions need to be done.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • So I sent my scars to my previous Dr who did my last spine fusion and he said I have a 75 year old spine ( IM 35.) so I Didn't want to hear that. But then he said something I Thought was weird. I told him how the other Dr told me I would be paralyzed at some point if I dint get it fixed and soon and he told he " Oh he was just trying to scare you,Its all politics." But then wants me to fly back to Utah when I live in Oregon now to have him look at it more and to do the surgery if he sees fit. So I don't know. I think you guys are right and IM just freaking out. I do have issues walking and have stabbing pain down my arms which arent that bad. But like you said its not about the pain with the cervical. So thanks guys. I do feel a lil better. I see the neurosurgeon on Thursday to go over my last few scans before I schedule the surgery. He wanted to make sure not to run into anything surprises when he got in there. But Im scared. Im really scared. Ive had 3 fusions already but this one scares me the most being in the cervical. So thank you for sharing and please share more of your experiences with this.