Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rock/wall climbing 4 weeks after op

My wife thinks I'm nutz, (perhaps she is right) however my doctor said that 4 weeks after my op, I could slowly get back into my exercise routine. I went rock wall climbing today, I felt fine, did not feel I put much stress on my back, I'm swimming again 3 times a week, 50 laps per session. I also started my weight training again (all be it much lighter weight) I found that doing push ups, and pull ups is great cardio, ( I get looks doing pulls up, seeing i'm 63) LOL.....What does puzzle me is how I got this herniated disc in the first place. It was either in the gym, or when I was back packing in the summer carrying a 50# pack and climbing up and down switch backs of 2-3000 feet for 4 days One doctor told me I'm done back packing, however my surgeon told me it was fine. just be sensible. so I was going to look into ultra light back packing but that would require all new gear which costs about 3 - 4 times basic gear costs. anyway some have PM me asking what type of op I had , it was called Micro decompression lumbar surgery, from what I understand they shaved part of the disc that was pressing on the nerve. I feel fantastic, which may give me a false sense of security.....

• I think you are really pushing it. Better slow it down. Potential for herniated disk to return is very high. Hope you are healing well and best wishes.
  • StinkfistSStinkfist Posts: 24
    edited 12/07/2015 - 6:36 PM
    You should slow down because you are making me feel lazy...lol other than that just listen to your body...personally I wouldn't do all that stuff 4 weeks post surgery...though not sure I would do it without a surgery...lol
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    it is still surgery. It is an unnatural 'attack' on our body for the lack of a better phrase.

As such, it needs to be dealt with serious and with a good deal of common sense and understand of limitations.

You doctor told you that after 4 weeks, you could slowly get back to your activities. The key word is slowly. Even though as you indicate, you are doing less of what your normally do, you are still do a good amount of exercise in a short period of time. Sure, it may feel good and hopefully, nothing negative comes out and its only positive.

I played Russian roulette after a number of my surgeries and I lost. As with any gambling, the eventual outcome is not on the positive side.
    I was young, felt nothing could slow me down. I paid

You have a lot of time to slowly get yourself as close as to where you want to be. Don't rush it. Enjoy the build up.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com