Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Reconstruction - T1 through Sacrum

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello fellow spine pain sufferers.
I had 2 major spine surgeries october o7 at the UCSF Medical Center for DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Flat Back Syndrome, bulging disc and Thoratic Kyphosis. this was a two stage surgery. The first surgery went 14 hours, the second went 12 hours. They decompressed Li through S1, opened up nerve exits, broke my back in 3 places and then rebuilt the spine. 36 Pedicle screws and Titainium rods from the bottom of the neck to the sacrum. Everything was going well. I was going to PT 3 times a week, walking 2 mile every morning and doing pretty good considering what I had done. One week before my 6 month check up, the rods snapped.. Long story short, I had to go back in to have the rods redone, another 12 hour surgery. Went home for 3 weeks, then had to come back for the second stage of the redo surgery. They went in through the front and removed the 3 lower lumbar disc and put in 3 titainium cages in the front. It has been 2 months - and i still feel a lot of pain. When they redid the rods, I came home feeling pretty good. Then when I had the cages put in, I just don't feel good.. I go back in about a month for a ct and Xrays to check out the hardware and bone grafts. This has been the most difficult and painful procedure that I have ever had to go through. This is a total of 8 major spine surgeries since 1979, and I could possibly have to go through another one if there are problems with this one. I am optomistic that with PT, acupuncture and a healthy life style I will make it through this. Has anyone gone through this whole back fusion with rods and screws. Please let me know how your doing and what I can do to help my recovery.