Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OK, so this may not "lighten and brighten" but here goes...lol

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 549
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lighten and Brighten
So I've had this problem lately. I recently started noticing the tell tale signs of a mouse problem... poop!

Now let me inform everyone here that I am not a fan of mouse traps. However, at my previous appt, I had a terrible mouse and RAT problem. I purchased one of those "no kill" traps, where the mouse would climb in, and could not get back out. Every morning, before work, I would check the trap, and have anywhere from 2-5 baby rats, and maybe 1 adult mouse in it. On my way to work, I would stop at the lake, and let them go. I was happy, they were happy, end of story right?? Wrong. One day, while driving to work, I stopped to let out a mouse. It had been snowing, and (please note this is quite embarrassing to admit) I felt bad for the mouse. I had taken it from its nice warm home, and now was about to leave it in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by snow. Ok, you can stop laughing now. heehee. I ended up taking the damn thing to work with me, and after much ridicule... finally let it go out in the snow. After that I decided I couldn't handle the "no kill" traps anymore. Oh yeah, and those sticky things?? Nope I cannot stand to see the poor little guys struggling to get off. Breaks my heart every time.

So back to my story. After noticing the droppings, I set a trap in my kitchen. I baited it with butter, and checked it an hour later. Butter gone, trap still set. So I baited it again with some peanut butter. An hour later peanut butter gone, trap still set!!! I actually saw the mouse in my kitchen 3 times that night, while I was setting the trap. This went on for about two nights. I did a little research on thieving mice, and read somewhere that melted chocolate is great bait, because its hard for them to steal without setting off the trap. I tried the chocolate thing, but he didn't seem interested.

A day or so ago, I actually saw this mouse sitting on my counter, and was able to take his picture with my cell phone. Still hadn't touched the trap. So I changed up my strategy. I smeared some peanut butter on top of the chocolate, and placed a cheerio on top of that tempting right??? Nope. Hasn't even touched it.

So last night I noticed a sewage type smell coming from the bathroom. I figure the smell is coming up the drain, but seems stronger over by my toilet. So today, I'm cleaning all the drains, and spray some scrubbing bubbles in the toilet, to clean. I noticed my sons Thomas the train engine hat, stuffed between the toilet and the trash can, and I go to pull it out so that I don't spray cleaner on it.

OH MY GAWD!!! :jawdrop: There, under the hat, is the mouse!!!!! DEAD!! :sick:

I guess I never needed the trap in the first place... my damned cooking killed him!!! lol

Anyway, sorry if I grossed you all out, I had to share my story with someone!!!! I'm off to bleach my... everything!!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful, mouse-free day!!! ;)

• Or you could get yourself a kitty cat....
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Amanda, I like that story.
    Mice is pretty smart little creatures, but I have found a good way to keep them away.
    I have several of those plug-in buzzers. They click every once in a while and do an effective job in keeping rodents and insect away. I have about 8 of them throughout the house
    In my basement, I have one larger unit, it cost about $35 and you plug it in, set the different pitch if you want to rid
    your area of rodents, insects or both.
    I would have to say that since doing all of this (past 2 years) we really dont have mice problems. Maybe one or two thats it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com