went to my neurosurgeon today and I have a new herniation impinging on the L4 nerve root. Horrible radicular pain! I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago for an extruded piece from the same disc. Same horrible pain for 5 months! Well now because of the risk of more surgery the Dr wants me to decide to either have surgery or wait and try an epidural and see if the herniation resolves itself. Has anyone had this happen and avoided another microdiscectomy?