Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone Besides Me Take These:

KoykoKKoyko Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Anyone take Parafron Forte & Volterian or am I the only one?

Anyone have any ideas what over-the-counter medication I can take for SEVERE Migraines?

• I take Parafon Forte as a muscle-relaxer since I don't have mood swings with it as I do with Flexeril.
  • He has suffered for years and tried Beta Blockers, Imitrex and hated the side effects. Some were scary like chest tightning which only made the migraines worse.

The ONLY OTC med he uses is Excedrin Migraine. It does not usually take all the pain away but when used with ice and sleep it seems to help.

I feel for you. It is horrible to watch him suffer from them. If can be debilitating some days.
  • You could try cafergot (ergotamine+caffeine). It may not be available over the counter but should be readily available with a prescription. Its not a narcotic based drug so there are no problems there....

Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Percogesic is over the counter and has worked well for me in the past.
  • Thank You Guys! You have helped.

I've tried Excedrin it helped take the edge off.
  • Exedrin is Tylenol + Aspirin + Caffeine. Before taking combo drugs, try them alone. Pharmacists hate combo drugs like Nyquil or Exedrin. You often don't need all of the drugs in there, and even though they are OTC, they can be harmful to the body, so best not to take them if not needed.

I work in a pharmacy so see Migraine drugs all day long. Most like Imitrex and Maxalt are very, very expensive an insruance companies put severe limits on what you get get each month. Like 5 to 9 tablets in 30 days, so if you have more frequent migraines, you will have to pay out of pocket. Other drugs that I see are fiorcet and fiorinal. One has tylenol and the other has aspirin, both are mixed with butabital. The one with aspirin is controlled and the other isn't, even though they should be because they are often abused. They must help though, as a lot of people take them. There are tons more, too: Topamax, Depakote, Gabapentin are often used off-label for migraines.

Definitely talk to your doctor - there's more drugs out there than OTC!
  • I am taking Excedrin Migraine for my Migraines now.. It has helped so much.
  • Was your reference above to "Voltarien" was actually Voltaren - also known as diclofenac? If so, and you're taking the Voltaren by mouth, you should definitely check with your doctor before taking Excedrin Migraine.

When you combine aspirin with prescription NSAIDS like Voltaren, you significantly increase the risk of GI problems like inflammation, stomach bleeds, perforated ulcers, etc. The aspirin also increases the plasma concentration of the NSAID, which can lead to a whole host of other problems.

• I checked with my doctor. She said it would be fine since I am only taking it when needed.