Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ego and learning: does the ego cause test anxiety?

William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,441
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Water Cooler
Hiya guys,,,OHH OH... Ya Ranch is thinkin again! I know we have some seriosly smart spiney here,so here goes...
Do you think that a persons ego,causes test anxiety?
heres the premis..I learn through trial and error, and the Socratic method that was used in my formative years,had me learn some thing=X,now i have to get up in front of a group of peers,and recite and show ive learned "X" so when i fail or perform less than satisfactoraly,i am 1) harranged by students who are acting precicely like pre pubesent kids do,they mock you,point out your error in the most painful way)2) the teacher reinforces the other students behavior by pointing out the errors YOU specificaly made..
Now its not just you making the errors,everyone goes through the process.

Now years later when you take a test, if your not sure, you automatically expect to get ridicule and emberassment if you fail,so you do less than stellar, you are expecting ridicule for your efforts,so hence test anxiety.
is that a good example?

Now. Suppose your a new spiney. and these are your "formative" years. how you perceive "tests" now are going to set the stage for failure..or success. You are learning new things every day ..NO?
so the how and why you learn now will set the stage for future success..or failure?
I think as a community we are setting our selves up for success..
We dont point fingers at others failures,we support a renewed effort.
We have many who have trod this road before us to set a good example.
We, can set a good example for the future spineys to follow.
The test we take every day is simply living.
If we provide a nurturing supportive beginning, we set ourselves and others on the road to success..no??
what do you think...
Any thoughts are appreciated

William Garza
Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I forgot the part about the ego. so,does the ego..the identity part of you,not want to take a test coz of past emberrassment? When a test looms ,do you protect yourself by worrying too much,if your going to pass or fail the test. and in relation to life,do you worry about not living up to someones arbitrary ,maybe your own arbitrary levels?
    Derived from where you used to perform,to now?
    Are you afraid of not meeting expectations,yours,some one elses?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    You nailed that Ranchhand & Dr Erin! It is instilled in us from the beginning, we do not want to be ridiculed or embarrassed by others for our short falls. It continues into the workplace and wherever we may go. It may also prevent some from performing to their highest ability. We do not want to fail at any level at all in front of others. Hopefully we can learn to not give a d@^# what
    other people think and not let the stress bring us down.
    It's taken several years but I have learned "what is important and what is not".
    Have a wonderful day!
  • i thought it was just me? i was curios if any one else saw the same...coool!
    Its sad the way some are set up for failure,they teach in the Socratic method, but never explained to a painfully shy person,why he had to stand and be mortified in front of his peers.. also i think it may teach a person to ridicule another,unconciosly, the laughter of relief that its not you up there getting the grill.IDK.
    Now,like Ranger, I dont care, I am me.
    The pain has been a sieve for me,separating the bull from the truth. Its been a great Godsend to have this built in BS'O METER!
    anyone else?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    For so many years, I would have those same feelings. Do whatever I can to make sure I did better than I did before. Not to let anyone down, not to fail.
    Some where along the route of aging, that seem to lose its importance to me. Today, yes, I dont want to let anyone down that is still there. But in terms of myself, I know what I can do and I know what I cant do. I always try my best, but I no longer worry if its going to meet up to someones expectation or even if it is suppose to be better than I am.

Who said it?

I am what I am
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yes Popeye, I mean Ron,

My sentiments exactly. The beautiful thing about getting older (and don't let some pessimists tell you otherwise) is that we have more confidence in ourselves. We know our capabilities and don't have unreasonable expectations. Or maybe we just don't give a darn about others opinion. As far as Socrates,( it was eons ago when I was in school, but aside from momentary senility my memory works just fine, thank you!) why do you think Ranchhand, that his methods set us up to failure? The part i remember about his teachings is that all knowledge is within us. I buy that!

Good day to all! isn't it nice to use our brains for change instead of dwelling on our troubles?

Kin }:) }:) }:) }:) }:)
  • Its not Socrates, or his method of instruction, its in the application that i had the problem with. How many teachers actually understand the underlying principal/lesson behind the words. Its like the spirit of instruction v. a legalist point of view.

The point and only point of instruction is to pass on knowledge..
    yet some teachers blatantly miss the point and cause undue distress to a persons character by relentlessly harranging the student to emberrasment,the lesson... is to test a persons knowledge,not to its ultimate depths..yet, but only to see if a student knows the subject matter appropriate to his or her age level/maturity

trying to get a person to perform better by emberrasment,as a punishment for not knowing the lesson to an arbitrary limit set by a culturaly,politicaly,socialy insensitive person.is morally incorrect.

I know the methology is sound, it is only in the misapplication does it fail in its spiritual meaning, that is ultimatly to learn.

I believe there is an inate knowledge within us all, some say we forget as we grow older.
    some find the wisdom again,to love without conditions
    To not judge
    how to find peace within our own selves,
    look upon any child and see the wisdom of life written across the actions, they have all the above qualitys and one more... they know no fear,no one is born with fear,,it is taught

so we are taught to fear failure,taught to fear our own shortfalls. I never understood why if i said i did not know the answer, and i demonstrated a lack of knowledge,that i would continue to be subjected to personal humiliation..seems a self gratification on the teachers part no? a terretorial pissing of sorts,an egotistical mounting of the student,to say politely,a domination of a childs wonder of discovery to turn sour and dank,within...
    so therein lies the true tragedy... the final cut as it may,
    that a teachers failing as a giver of lessons,to a giver of wounds.there is the final tragedy,

that i was taught to quail at the thought of getting up and maybe ..failing in front of my peers,instead of encouraging nurturing and education,it becomes a thing to fear, not knowledge,but a blow to self.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• TESTS cause anxiety for me. I've heard it said that we are at our most intelligent as babies because we are curious, don't understand limitations, nor question others' opinions. We have blind faith in those around us to teach us by instruction and example. Once our limitations become apparent, the only thing we can do is to prove ourselves wrong by pressing on.

My middle son has an IQ in the top 90th percentile and he ALWAYS stresses over tests. I keep telling him that he will do fine; he KNOWS he will do fine.... but... He is his own worst enemy when it comes to stressing over tests.

Ever since he was 3 he's been like a sponge soaking up any and everything I could teach him. One day when he was 5, we were going down the road and he got excited and said "I was just thinking... if you know that "a" is 3 but you don't know what "b" is, but they add up to 5, then you know "b" is 2!"

The best part about him being so sharp is that he gets my jokes. No matter how lame. I have high hopes for that kid. Not sure what, or where or how.... I just know he will do well.

You are exactly right, Ranch - nurturing an encouraging go along way in educating those entrusted in our care. Oh, and compassion as well as empathy.

• You have such a way with words. Could not have said it better myself. Your son is also lucky to have such a loving and enlightened mom.

• Erin i am glad you brought that up,i have a take on that,i dont like to get help or ask help from anyone. ime curious,is there anyone else who is averse to asking?
    and why?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• YA me and you are peas from the same pod in many ways,'cept i drive my entire class nuts with my "curiosity"? go figure, i used to see it also as a sighn of weakness,but not anymore either, the only way to get knowledge is to seek it sometimes. i apologize to the class and they soon get it that i am not trying to be a dumbutt.
    i hate when i lose my thread of thought though,it makesme feel stoopid?!?!?!
    I had many teachers just scare me about learning,made me feel as if i was a numbnuts. but i had a couple of great teachers cut from an older cloth,who saw "me" and understood.they are in heaven now!
    like ya said and kinda the direction i was gonna take the thread was that it carries over into our daily lives,
    not asking questions of docs, not taking up for ourselves when we need to,to be more proactive in our health care,etc
    The unsaid stigma, the stain on the ego when your laughed at by your peers and other members your age,you try to fit in ,its human nature i think to want to belong, to "be" a part of community,but sadly the pop community has arbitrary and changing rule acccording to the alpha members of it,
    hope ya feel well tonight erin!
    and all the other spinys in distress
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Ok, here is my normal Ron-view on everything:

Grades 1-9: You want to learn, so you ask questions all the time. Teachers encourage this.

Grades 11-12: Party time, school, questions, "Hey teach!, do you know the best price on kegs ?"

College Years Oh, what was that? Did you give that assignment? Could you go over that again?

Early-Mature Years - Ask for Driving Directions
    Male Nope, dont need them, I know where we are going, its just around the next stop light.
    Female Stop in that gas-station and get details

Return-to-School Here is when we have an excitement for learning (as Erin has demonstrated) We've changed the reasons we are going back to school now, its serious its for real.

Older YearsOh Yeh, I think I remember that!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com