Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First appointment with new ortho

brandysue50bbrandysue50 Baldwinsville NYPosts: 46
I have central herniated disc with some bulges and mild flattening. So I was referred to this ortho office.
Is there a differance in MD and PA when prescribing narcotics? I just had a MRI 2 weeks ago and was referred to the same place I went to for my Lumbago. He was a md/surgeon.
I'm in pain, sometimes so severe. I'm on tylenol with codeine from Primary which I wouldnt know I take it, made no differance. Stupid pain stayed. :( Last time This place didn't give me anything for it. He just said there is nothing I can do for you.
This week I'm going to a PA. In your opinion, would she be able to give me pain relief?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    PA (Physician's Assistant) works under a MD (Medical Doctor)

No PA is going to go against the policy that has been established by the MD.

Both professionals are licensed and will not prescribe any medication when there is no justification or rationale behind it.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • brandysue50bbrandysue50 Baldwinsville NYPosts: 46
    Well the ortho sent me to pain management. I went to 2 appointments. The dr suggested that I do  lumbar facet joint injection. I agreed but now I don't want to do it. After reading the notes from the appointment he sent to my ortho. It notes the risks. I changed my mind having it done. Has anyone here ever refused to have this done? What did they do instead?
    I'm in pain and called them a few days ago to see if they can give me something for the pain. My pm dr gives me codeine 4. He's out of the office for I don't know when and I'm due for a refill.

I am on blood thinners and thats part of the reason I don't want it done.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,960
    Hi brandysue.....
    I am not clear about,.... if you spoke to your pain management doctor about the risks that are a concern to you? meaning after you read the notes to your ortho?
    PM doctor would be best to give reassurance re procedure and about the blood thinners involvement and effect re procedure.

Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Getting or trying to obtain pain meds from different doctors will result in your being dismissed from your pm or both doctors.
    Since you have a pm doctor, he needs to be the one who provides any meds, not the PA at the ortho office.

Most ortho/surgeons will not provide pain meds unless you are immediate post op, and then only for a limited time.

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    Just my two cents....I have lumbar facet joint injections several times a year and they help immensely! And before any injections the nurse goes over my medications, when I last took them, etc. They are super careful about any risk of bleeding.
    Betty65
  • brandysue50bbrandysue50 Baldwinsville NYPosts: 46
    I'm a slow leaner. In a way when when words are spoken to me, its hard for me to comprehend in a conversion. I just remember the words he said "if you bleed, I can't tell from the xray when I'm doing it". 
    I'm also going to go through another unrelated surgery not sure exactly when. In my opinion, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    I'm getting codeine from my primary dr but on the notes it says I'm getting from the ortho which is not true.

• I've had the same procedure done and it felt similar to an ESI. A fluoroscope is used to help guide the needle. Make sure to mention that you are on an anticoagulant so they can take whatever precautions necessary. Usually I'm told to stop taking anti inflammatories and am also asked if I'm on any blood thinners. On another note, you should try to keep an open mind about trying different treatments. It might be very helpful in relieving your pain.
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
advertisement