Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Beck & Neck and arm issues

uturnguyuuturnguy Posts: 1
edited 12/14/2015 - 3:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. A little about me... I've had11 back & neck surgeries in the last 4 years, due to an ATV accident when was 17 (now I'm 45).

In October 2014, I had a 4 level arterial neck fusion (c3-c7), Things were going very well by May 2015 I was golfing and engaging in regular activities. In July I began to have pain in my shoulders, both arms and around my the back area of my ribs. They initially thought it was brachial plexus issues. Had an appointment set up for the last Thursday in August 2015.

As my luck would have it, I woke up the last Sunday in August and could not open my my left hand and had complete numbness and weakness in my left hand and partially left arm. I called my surgeon who is 2 1/2 hours away. He said to come over immediately and check in through ER and that he would notify the proper team at the hospital and that he would be going surgery that next day.

He went in through the back and said "i was a mess". He ended up doing a major decompression from C4-T2, removed a herniated disc at C7 and ended up fusing C7-T2. After the surgery I could barley open my left hand. Today I can bring my index and middle finger to the normal height but still experience complete numbness and some weakness. However I can't bring up my ring or pinky finger. I am 3 months post surgery.

Just recently (in the last week) my arm and fingers feel weaker and extremely weak and it is running all the way up to my shoulder and neck, and my left hand has swollen up to about 3x's its normal size. I also feel a very weird sensation on my left side (about shoulder height) as though something is pinching or poking me from the inside. At times i feel very dizzy with the headaches.

I see my surgeon on Tuesday December 15. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My neck has begun to burn and i'm getting really bad headaches and the burning is running from my neck down to my elbow (only on my left arm). Again just recently when i work on the computer and move my head up or down it pops and hurts very badly.