Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Whiplash, how long does this last?

Worried.MomWWorried.Mom Posts: 1
edited 12/14/2015 - 2:55 PM in Lower Back Pain
My 19 yr old son was hit by a car in August, broken ankle, broken hand, blow to the head affecting his short term memory, jaw/teeth issues, all down the same side. While the doctors say his broken bones have fused, one resident actually yelled at him for still being in his wheel chair, as if he likes it there! We were told he has Whiplash by our family Dr and PT. He has neck and back pain and can't stand up yet, he's working on it in PT, progressing very slowly, his OT even seems to wonder why he is still using his wheel chair and still needs my help for so many things. It's so frustrating to watch these alleged professionals look at him with raised eyebrows when they spend but a mere couple of hours a week or couple of minutes every few months with him and I am there 24/7 so know what pain he is in. So I am in this for the long haul, no matter what, but how long does Whiplash usually take to heal? Does anyone know when he might be able to stand on his own again? And has anybody had to deal with doubting Dr's, OT's etc? If so, how? I just want to help my son get well and I wish these so called professionals would act as if they've heard of Whiplash!

Unfortunately, there are no medical professionals on the forum side of this site. Therefore, no one is qualified to provide you with any valid answer. What you might get at best is a guess based on personal experiences. But for the formal answer, you should be talking with your doctor and/or your physical therapist.. If you doubt what some of the medical professionals are telling you about your son being still being in a wheel chair, I would suggest getting additional opinions.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 12/14/15

Thank you. Just looking for some feedback from others in similar situations, I am getting frustrated with his OT, family Dr is great though, as is PT, it's just tough to see my son in still in so much pain and nothing I can do. Then Ortho surgical resident yelling at him for still being in his wheel chair just plain made me mad. I'd be happy to hear some best guesses based on experience, just to have some kind of general idea of how these situations can go.