Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Posting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Greetings everyone! I am very new to posting on message boards, but I would like very much to interact with others dealing with the same problems as me!

I have had 2 surgeries: both discectomy / lamenectomy on L5-S1... one in 2000 and again in 2005. Since then, in constant and frustrating pain. I am now diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, scar tissue around the S1 nerve root and "chronic" nerve damage in my right leg. I went through 1 year of PT after the 2nd surgery and I now go to the gym weekly to exercise & strengthen. I get cortisone injections in the facets or SI joint about every other month. They don't last very long.

I just had my first rhizotomy nerve ablation (multi-level and on both R and L side) this past week. It was one of the WORST medical treatments I've ever received. Excruciating pain during the nerve burn. I thought it would never end... and was begging them to count down the seconds so I would have an idea of how long to endure.

As I read other people's postings, I see that there are SO many others dealing with these same conditions and worse. I am certainly not alone.

I have two questions at this time...

1) How have others gotten through the rhizotomy procedure? I thought I was being TORTURED. I can only HOPE that the pain of the procedure pays off in longer-term pain relief in the facets. So far, I'm still sore from the procedure.

2) How do others deal with their lives... working, family, housework, yard work, etc. particularly when they have limited funds and limited help from family. This is a somewhat vague question, but one I think about a lot.

Thank you all!~ KG

• welcome to spine-health,i had a rhizotomy done in january,it was quite painfull for about 4 weeks,i have been feeling better now,i had both sides of my lower back done...
  • My name is Amanda. I am 27 years old, and have suffered back problems for as long as I can remember. I am fairly new to this board myself. I had my first MRI in June. I have yet to have any real procedures done, though my PCP has said that I need surgery.

As I said, I have been dealing with back issues my entire life, but never as bad as the last six months. For the last four weeks, I have been taking 12 hour extended relief morphine, which had worked wonders up until about 4 days ago. I have a hard time walking, standing up straight is tough, but standing up at all from a sit position is downright unbearable.

Till now, I have had no problems getting day to day things done. At the moment, bending is impossible for me, so my housework is backing up. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon next month, and hopefully he can shed some light on my situation, maybe offer some of those shots I've been hearing about. We'll see.

Nice talking to you, and welcome to SH!
  • Wow, that procedure sounds so sarey, BigCat I didn't know you had that done.

I can't anser your first question, but as far as the 2nd. Personally I live alone and have zero family down here, or support from them. So it's been very difficult. i am grateful that I've found friends here on SH that understand what we are gong through. As a single person we are forced to push ourselves beyond what our bodies are will to do, which causes setbacks at times. You wll have good days and bad days. I think the biggest thing for all of us is all of this is such a long recovery. I don't think any of us could have been prepared enough to realize. Personally i have a strong faith so that's helped so much, but they there are still the times that I just need a hug and don't have anyone around except for my animals.

I guess to put it in a nutshell, you go into survivor mode and end up doing the things you have to do because you don't have a choice.

If you have any neighbors that perhaps could help with the garbage and lawn, definitely take them up on their offers. Never turn down offers of help. Because eventually that will slowly disappear as everyone else gets on with their lives and we are still recoverying.

Please just know that we are hear for you and you can get through this. The best thing you can find us anytime of day or night if you need to chat.

So give yourself a big hug and be kind to yourself and listen to your body. Do not push too hard, your body has its own plans for healing.

My prayers are with you and let me know if I can be of any assistance ok? image
  • "but they there are still the times that I just need a hug and don't have anyone around except for my animals."

I'm here for a hug anytime!! lol I too live far away from my family, and don't have much support from friends, out here. My husband is a great support, but sometimes, you just need a friend!! So I'm sending everyone hugs tonight!!!!

*hugs* Amanda
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so very fortunate to have a husband who is by my side all the time. i could not imagine life without him. i hope the friends you meet here will give you some comfort. i have one little trick i will tell you. when i need to clean say the bathroom. i spray it all down with cleaner, (open the window)let it sit for awhile and then go in with a towel and wipe it all down. i don't have to scrub each thing and it does a good job of getting off that basic grime. anyway, i hope you are feeling better soon. good luck and i will see you around the forum. you can usually find someone on 24/7 so you never have to be alone. Jenny :)
  • Thank you everyone who responded to my posting.

Yes, I try as hard as I can possibly to keep things neat at home... and knowing when things have to slip because I'm hurting more on a given night or weekend than usual.

I feel bad sometimes that I have to ask for so much help. I was raised to be very independent and do as much as possible for myself and being restricted physically kind of goes against being able to be 100% independent. I do thank God every day for a wonderful daughter who still lives with me (she'll be going to college next year) and I thank God for a good job that pays me well for the work I do.

I look forward to talking more with everyone here. I'll try to be more open and interactive in the discussions. I will benefit from learning more from others as well as sharing my experiences and advice.

Have a good one!

• Hello everyone. My name is Elinor and I just posted my story on the "leg weakness" board. I'm new so not sure what to do. Please check it out and see if you can help me answer some of my questions. To say the least, I am getting very scared. I don't understand how a bone pressing on my cervical spine can cause lower back problems, leg weakness and finger numbness, but the dr. said it all comes from the neck. I have psoriatic arthritis and that seems to be the culprit.

I would love to hear from anyone who can help me out. I am enjoying this board so much!

• Welcome to SH and you are definitely not alone. I have alot of the same problems that you have and found the rhizotomy to help the most. just do not expect it to work overnight. It takes a while for the nerve to actually die but once you get relief it takes about 1 year for the nerve to regenerate. So, hopefully it will be well worth the pain that you experienced during the procedure. It is very excruciating but, I found it to be well worth it. Remember to ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off and you should have pain meds that should be taken before the pain gets really bad. Pain is much easier to control at the onset than after it is severe. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • :) Elinor,welcome and why don't you post your own post under newcomers so we can get to know you. what happened, your meds, stuff like that. looking forward to hearing all about you! Jenny :)