Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone growth stimulators

I am wondering how successful the bone growth stimulator for all of y'all. Anybody have any reviews and has it worked or not worked for you? What does it feel like? Thanks!

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    For myself I wore it 4 hours a day and it would make my neck sore, the muscles seemed to get agitated. A good muscle relaxer helped . The only odd thing I found with the device was that while you are on the telephone it can make calls impossible, you can hear the simulator thru the phone although while wearing it you cannot hear it at all.It is comfortable enough to sleep with it on, at least with the neck. For me it did not work but for other reasons, My hardware broke.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 553
    My doctor had me wear one after my first neck surgery because I wasn't fusing. I had to wear it for 4 hours a day. It gave me horrible headaches. I contacted my doctor about this. He said he never heard of it causing headaches. He recommended that I break up the 4 hours into smaller sessions. That didn't do any good.
    I ended up having a second surgery to put in more screws.
    Like Susan, I could also hear it through the phone?
  • So did you guys have yours on the outside of you neck then? Have you heard of any better results with them being placed inside during surgery? This will be my 4th fusion and my bone hasn't been fusing as well as it should be and I want to make it as successful as possible so o don't have to go through a 5th surgery.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 553
    I didn't know that you can have them put inside your body?
    How does that work? Does it stay there permanently or will you have to have another surgery to remove it?
  • From what I have read they leave it in for 6-12 months and then it is an outpatient procedure to remove it.
  • I had to wear the bone growth stimulator after my surgery. I had 4 level posterior cervical fusion. I wore it for 4 hours a day. I couldn't answer telephone when I was wearing it because it caused a strange noise only I would hear. When I wore my stimulator I would sit in my recliner with my house coat relieving the pressure off my incision area. I had my surgery in March 2015 and my levels are now fused. I don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt.
  • I just asked my surgeon about it. He looked aghast. His PA later told me that the research on them isn't entirely conclusive, and that a lot of insurance won't pay... so I have not had one, but I'm only 6 weeks out. If I don't show some fusion at 12 weeks... the entire conversation may change.... I just want to see fusion.