Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Technology !!

can be great, but it also can be a hindrance.

Now keep in mind, that I come from a field of technology. Working with IBM from 1974 to 1979 I witness so many changes with technology.
I was a main frame person for the first 20 or so years, then expanded my skills into the workstations combining forces with main frame and workstation.

In my first couple of years with IBM, a 145 CPU was one of the larger processors, then it was the 168's then the newer technology took over.
In those older days, my DASD and TAPE farm required a raised floor, required A/C and all computer processors needed to be water cooled.
All said and done all of that required about 12,000 square feet of space. For DASD, about 125 units, that represented a whopping 300 Gig of DASD space! (But as software developers, we stayed within those means!)

When I was leaving IBM, the last set of data centers I managed,

• - CPUs no longer needed to be water cooler, many were air cooled
    - Requirement for raised floor space diminished
    - My DASD farm had over 10,000 Gig of space.
    - Total room size was less than 500 square feet!!
Same thing happened with the personal computer.

My first introduction to computers was

• - Commodore 64. with no hard drive, 5 1/4 floppies and cartridges
    - I moved up to a Commodore 128 with the concept of hard drives.
    - Then the Personal computer world took explored with Desktops and LapTops.
Prior to fast desktops, a 10meg Harddrive was considered large and the machines run only DOS. Then, the early fast desktop processors (386 way before Pentiums) were quick and the machines had a huge 110Meg hard drive.

Hard to imagine today, most desktops and laptops have ultra fast processors and having 1TB of DASD is pretty common.
Step aside the Tablets, IPADS and more started to take the place of many laptops. With network connections and USB devices, you could still utilize all the DASD space at a fraction of the cost.

Where will it end? Hopefully Never ............

BUT NOW to me comes the Problem. SOFTWARE !!!

I started out in Software, all the mainframe Operating systems and as the Personal computer came to being, DOS, OS/2 (IBM only) , Windows , Linux and now Apple. Hardware to me when properly managed does not fail. One of the worst things anyone can do to any piece of computer hardware is turn it ON and OFF We did so many studies over 15 years and the data proved that leaving machines up and running all the time extended their life span.

Software, which makes the hardware come to life is a different subject all together. It does break, it doesnt work at times and even when properly maintained, failures will happen.

What made me post this???

Today, our moderator Liz was telling about her PC being upgraded to Windows 10. Thats when things that worked before stopped working!!

• - DOS
    - OS/2
    - Warp
    - Windows 3.1
    - Windows 95
    - Windows 98
    - Windows NT
    - Windows XP
    - Windows 7
    - Windows 8
    - Windows 10
    - Windows XX
    - Apple (lives for every and works)
The last Windows I enjoyed was Windows XP. It let me control the environment instead of letting the software control me.

I do hope that Liz gets everything working again with her computer and Windows 10. If not, I might see a PC come flying across
the Atlantic and landing here!

One of the newer features about technology. Unless you are in the field, when you reach 40 years old, the mind stops working in terms
of using new equipment. And then it starts to deteriorate fast and faster.

There needs to be a technology disease comparable to our Spinal Degenerative Disc Disease.
Maybe it could be DTD Degenerative Technology Disease

Hopefully someone can come up with a better name!

One last thing, how do you type on a Iphone when you have fat clumsy fingers!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 483
    With concave keys to help keep fingers in place....oh how I miss those!

I was thinking the other day why someone hasn't come up with an external keyboard option for smartphones (or maybe they have and I don't know it yet). They must figure if you need a keyboard, you need more than a phone.....but it would be nice.

As far as the DTD, that is putting it nicely. I would have contributed it to CRS.....which isn't appropriate at this time.

I didn't have a computer at home till the very late 90's. Before the Internet, computers seemed so lifeless.....DOS seemed like trying to communicate with a very limited black hole....but then I was no computer programmer either.

I have to reformat my laptop I bought almost four years ago, not ready to invest more money yet ......have always had Windows, but would consider going Apple when the time comes.....but who knows what the future holds in the technology realm.....new ones may be called Zebras, using tech like stripes....ya never know!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 12/16/2015 - 9:52 PM
    Today Chrome loaded OK I haven't dared try Firefox yet and tempt fate.
    I tried both off and on all day yesterday with countless reboots and could only use Microsoft edge which meant a very slow frustrating day.
    It took from 7pm until midnight to download a 1 min 22 sec video to fb and even longer for the one earlier in the day (and that was was closing all other programmes) So this laptop is safe for the time being but it better watch out as the window (not the Windows10 LOL) is open to be thrown across the Atlantic as you say Ron.

Don't get me started on Iphones etc when my contract offered upgrade I did a downgrade and asked for a phone with buttons and idiot proof. People ask me to text them I tell them I will call it is much quicker LOL

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • My computing power is all in me head.
    But i have been following some tech..mainly on the photography side..
    Found a western digital ext hd that takes an sd card and DL the content..powered by a battery..ita perfect at 1 to 2 TB...!
    there is a Gigapix web site where a peraon can stich and create multi gigabyte photos..
    Hasselblad has a 50 mp camera to die for and they go bigger for bigger$
    My dream camera is a 50 mp Canon
    Which leads to laptops at last...

Its amazing that in a short span, i can. Now get at least,8 cores running at incredible ram speeds
    So i can run Lightroom and,process in a reasonable time.
    You guys whove seenmuch more
    Are akin to the centenarians and octegenarians
    In the sense of having seen bi planes
    To the space shuttle
    From tin lizzys
    To the Veyron
    From caligraphy
    To texting on the latest hand held device

What yall have seen to have been part of that process..and?
    Still going..
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/31/2016 - 7:39 PM
    Some love it some hate it, sometimes it is funny and sometimes it makes no sense at all.

What always amazes me is why some people don't read through and edit before they post on forums and social media.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery