Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had fusions on 4 cervical discs?

I would like to hear from anyone who has had 4 cervical fusions. I currently have 2 and my surgeon has recommended doing one above and below the current fusions. I am worried about how my neck will feel, and also worried about anymore going bad.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    edited 12/16/2015 - 12:21 PM
    are involved?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • In 2007 I had a 2 level fusion done on c4-5 and c5-6. I now have problems with c3-4 and c6-7. Most of my symptoms are coming from c7 nerve damage caused by compression. C3-4 has a central protrusion causing moderate spinal canal stenosis. Now that I know that, I am bothered by the idea that it could get worse with time. I'm trying to decide if the pain warrants the surgery
  • I had a four level done in March. Unfortunately, the top and bottom levels are not fusing. Revision is probably in the future. If you fused correctly and had no complications from the previous surgery, I would consider going forward. The longer nerve damage goes, the harder it is to recover.
  • patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    Am fused from occiput to c4. So i guess the answer is yes.

I think the potential nerve damage is what warrants a surgery. But that's just my opinion.
  • Hello,
    I had c4-c7 fused in October - my surgeon also advocated for the ones above and below the worst levels to be fused. I was very worried and did a lot of research. His rationale for the recommendation seemed solid and so I proceeded. I am now about 9 weeks post surgery and my range of motion is much better than I expected, strength is coming back. I didn't have a lot of pain prior to the procedure, but had more functional problems and risks associated with how compressed the chord was in my neck. Took pain meds after the procedure but haven't needed pain medication regularly since week 4 and mostly then it was at night. Started PT about 2 weeks ago and am learning methods to improve flexibility and strength in hopes of taking very good care of the other vertebrae and voiding another surgery any time too soon. Having had this surgery means getting back to activities that could have been dangerous for me before and hopefully regaining my active lifestyle. Would prefer not to have had to have the surgery, of course, but while people say it is a big deal etc., it really wasn't too horrendous and we are lucky to have it as an option. Wishing you well regardless of what direction you choose!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,456
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am currently waiting on insurance approval for my 6th cervical surgery. Due to broken hardware, a complete redo from failed fusion, You name it it went wrong for me. I currently have a fractured c7 that is stable at the moment but the hardware is getting ready to come thru my skin.' Good luck
  • I had c3-4, c4-5, c5-6 and c6-7 cervical surgery March 2015. I had 2 levels which were bad but my Doctor recommended I get the other 2 also. He said that once a level goes bad, it will only get worse and recommended having them all done at same time. I didn't really have much trouble from the surgery. My levels have fused. The only problem I'm having now is my muscles are weak from the surgery. I had to wear a hard collar brace for 2 months but besides that I'm doing better than before the surgery.
  • I was ok with going through the surgery. I have been through it before. I was in so much pain a month ago that I was hoping for surgery and relief. The past two weeks I Almost feel normal. I still have triceps weakness which bothers me but what it takes awhile for strength to come back. Now I don't know what to do. It seems stupid to have surgery if I'm healing but I'm worried about the one that is flattening the spinal cord. I can't seem to find info regarding the probability of it getting worse! I also still have some pain in my arm....Not an easy decision. It will be 3months Jan. 7th. I was going to wait until then at least to decide
  • I had surgery for a C 6 - C7 fision on Feb 2008. I was telling everyone who needed this type of surgery (fusion) to go ahead ,as i thought I hard a 100 % full recovery untill a month ago when I started getting severe migraines and tingling down my arm. Finally got to see my surgeon , and just found out that I have no more disc between C5 & C6. Surgery is not even questionable for me because of the success of 1st surgery. I can not take the pain in my neck ,the tingling in my arms and the severe headaches anylonger....Surgery ASAP....
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,456
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History