Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need someone to understand

I have dealt with chronic lower back pain for 5 years now, every so often it takes me out and I end up in agony, bed bound for a week or so and then I get back to my normal routine.
For the last 4 weeks I have been experiencing the most horrific pain in my lower back and right leg, the pain is like nothing I've felt before, burning, tingling, shooting pains, constant throbbing as well as waves of agony. I have been prescribed liquid morphine, morphine tablets as well as diazepam, I am unable to walk and I can't do usual daily tasks such as getting myself a drink, showering etc.
I feel so alone, like nobody believes how much pain I'm in, I'm failing my degree because the morphine makes me so sick, I can't work, I'm constantly down and cry all the time.
I feel my doctor isn't listening to me and I honestly can't take much more of this pain, it is killing me. I'm 23 years old and I just want to enjoy my life, gain a career and get some support.
If anybody could offer some advice I really would be so grateful.
Sophie xo

• your very young but not alone. as for your classes there are ways you can have your dr write a letter stating your condition bring it to the bursurs office or dean of admissions...look into a program called americans with disabilities act. When was your last MRI? Physical therapy? When we are in this much pain the world seem different like no one believes us. What was your diagnosis from the dr before it became this bad? and what kind of dr are you seeing currently? General Practitioner, Ortho spine surgeon, neuro surgeon? Have you ever had injections or surgery? How did it happen originally?

I'm only 48 and have been fighting a long battle but I have eduated myself and worked in the field of HR/disablities so I can lend some advice its different if various states but i'm wiling to share and reassure you your not alone
    This can't be happening
  • Please can I ask if you've had any diagnostic tests...MRI, etc?
    Are you in the UK? I only ask because I am & I have had a similar experience of no tests just drug her up!!! Which brings its own problems and doesn't fix anything!
    Please keep talking to us and believe it will improve.
    Kirsti x
  • Hi Sophie,
    Sorry to hear you're struggling. I can understand what's it feels like to have chronic pain and back pain especially can be so debilitating. It is something which very few people understand and many people will make judgements incorrectly about your pain. I've had many many negative comments from so many people simply because of a lack of understanding. Even my parents in law who have seen me crying, rolling around in pain and unable to get out of bed have been very judgemental and made comments about me being a "pill popper". As hard as it is, I've found that I do not surround myself with people who don't understand me when I'm really struggling and rely heavily on close family and friends when I need help.

It can be very hard to deal with chronic pain at a young age and especially when you are struggling and want to live a "normal" life. I've now had 6 operations - all whilst I was at university studying. At first I had no help, but I found people who understood and helped me by doing things like giving me extra time to do coursework and changing exam dates. You really need to speak to someone who can do this for you and help you so you can achieve all that you would like to. It may be that a disability support office can help (you don't need to be diagnosed as disabled for them to help).

As others have said, it's not clear if you've had any tests to diagnose the cause of your pain but I would encourage you to try to find out why you're in pain as you are on a lot of medication. It can be difficult to get a Dr to listen but I have now started always taking someone else with me - either a friend, partner or parent (I'm nearly 30 and still take my mum with me sometimes). It can help to have someone back you up about how much pain you are in. Alternatively, you could keep a pain diary detailing the type and strength of your pain, location, impact on your functioning (e.g. if it stopped you showering) and how much medication you took to help. This can also help a Dr to see the great impact which it has on your life.

Please don't give up hope! There are many of us on here who have good careers despite our pain. I managed to get a degree, Masters and PhD despite being in pain every day. It's very very hard, but with more help, you will get there!

Let us know how you get on.
  • Spiny_MaloneSSpiny_Malone Posts: 225
    edited 12/22/2015 - 10:05 AM
    I think you need another opinion and quickly. I worry about your leg symptoms with the spine and it's an emergency where I'm from (Canada).
  • We care - let us know how you are. It sounds as though you needed surgery.
    Dx Spondylolythesis L5/S1
    Dx Disk Degenerative Disease
    Dx Foot Drop 12/24/15
    Dx Lumbar Radiculopathy
    L3/4 Microdiskectomy
    L4/5 Microdiskectomy