Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Well.. hello everyone. It is kind of hard to think about where to start! I have never joined this kind of support group before, but I am glad to find this one.
My name is Becca, and I am from Tennessee. I am 35yrs old. I have been married 17yrs and have 2 great kids. I had a car accident in Sept. of 2005 that resulted in several fx. of my cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine and pelvis. I had a unusual fx sacral pelvic dissociation basically my spine separated from my pelvis. I was treated by a Orthopedic/Trauma Surgeon whom I thank God for every day. At first the treatment of choice was getting me into a CTLS brace which started at my neck and ended at my knees and although I know it helped heal my spine I still wish to burn it! Anyway the tech who fitted me for it said that in the 25 yrs he had been doing ortho devices he had only made 1 other like mine. Well anyway after discussing options with colleagues my doc wanted to try fusing my spine back to my pelvis using screws. He had seen this procedure once in med school but felt that it would be the best way to keep me aligned. I had the surgery and woke up with alot more pain in my right side from my back to my feet. I was having spasms and my foot felt like it was in ice water. After a CT scan he discovered that the screw was in the foramen(small holes at bottom of the spine which the nerves run through). The screw had to be removed with another surgery and placed in the right area. My doc was very honest about the misplaced screw. I know alot of people thought I should sue for malpractice we decided not to. If he had not done the surgery, and no other surgeon in the hospital would touch me, I honestly bTelieve I would be in worse shape. You see I am a nurse and not a very good patient! I was supposed to be on bedrest and use a special wheelchair for 3months to a yr. and I was so frustrated about a month of having an audience when I went to the bathroom that I pushed myself to the door of the bathroom and of course the darn thing would not fit thru the door so I just stood up and hung on to the counters and walked (well sort of) to the pot! After I did it I was really scared because no one really knew if I would be able to walk again! But on the other hand I was elated that I could do it. And I have recovered as much as I can and like all of you I am in pain every day. I get really upset with life sometimes especially when my children worry about me. I tried to go back to work after my brace was removed (using the darn walker like a dumba#%) and my patients and co-workers were taking care of me! Then I faced reality and signed up for disability which was a long hard road,but we finally got it! During all this I lost my mother. She was my best friend and gave me so much. You see she was disabled herself from several spine issues and was on oxygen. But she just drug that tank around and took care of me. We stayed at my grandmothers house which was the only place big enough and mom moved in too! When we moved back home my husband would drop me off at mom's house while he worked. That time with her is so precious to me and my family.
Well that's enough about me ooh wait I saw that most people post their meds. I have a hard time with accepting that I have to take pain meds but I really can't do without them. I am trying to stay on the lowest dose possible.
Hydrocodone 10/500mg 3x/day, Flexaril 10mg 3x/day, Cymbalta 60mg 1x/day, and Celebrex if I can get samples(insurance refused to cover it) if not that then I take Naproxen 3x/day. Well thanks for listening to my story and sorry it is so long but it gave me something to do while I could not sleep!
I hope to hear from all of you soon.

• welcome to the forum. Wow what an incredible story and you sound like an amazingly strong woman...thank you so much for sharing. You will find a lot of support and understanding here...the members are all so wonderful. If there is ever anything that I can help you with then please just let me know. Take care and please keep us posted as to how you are doing....Miki
  • Welcome to Spine_Health, Becca. You will find the members here are very caring and very supportive. You sure have been through a lot, girl! What touched my heart in your post (along with your unfortunate injury) was the loss of your mother. I am so sorry! My mom has been gone 10 years now and I still miss her everyday. It is so very hard and I certainly feel for you!

It sounds like your injury, surgery and recovery was nothing short of a miracle! And thank God you made it. If that takes pain medicine now, then I think that is a small price to pay for what you have gained. Good luck to you and come post often and keep us updated. Hugs and prayers, Marti

• Thanks for the comments and we all have to be strong to get through life don't we? I am fortunate to have a great family to help me. As long as I can cook my husband and son will do almost anything for me,ha ha!
  • Thank you so much Marti_142. After I read your words I had to take a few minutes to shed some tears for your loss and mine. Mothers are so important to us all. I am sorry for your loss of your mom. My mom would always tell me I would always be her baby.Even though she was in alot of pain she would insist on bathing me and probably would have fed me had I let her, she was taking care of her baby. Just feeling her rub my head would make the pain disappear. If only they could bottle a momma's touch we would all probably feel better.

I see that you have RA (along with your other issues), I hope you find the strength to keep moving each day because you can't stop! I have known many people w/RA from my nursing days and you gotta keep moving no matter what. My thoughts and prayers will be with you also.
  • Welcome to SH. I am Lyssie and today I am in lots of pain with my back and legs. I had fusion surgery 2 years ago when I was 17. I wish you all the best and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.

Lyssa xx
  • Your posts can never be too long! We like to get to know as much about you as possible. Anytime at all that you can't sleep or are feeling down or just want to talk you will always find someone here to listen and support you. I am very sorry to hear of all that you have been through and for the loss of your mother. I can relate to having that special time with her while you were able as my moms health is not good and about three years ago I moved from my hometown of 32 years just to be close to my mom and help with her care. I look forward to reading more of your posts and seeing you around the forum.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i hope you find some comfort in the forum! i am sorry to read about the death of your mother. my mother recently moved to Texas and it is the first time we have been away from each other in most of my 53 years. i feel like i will never see her again! good luck to you and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Wow, the surgery sounds complicated. I'm glad you found a doc willing to do it. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

• I'm glad you found us and hope to see you on the boards. A lot of us have great support from family but being able to talk with people who are experiencing similar issues is a great help. I am so sorry for the loss of your mother, I am sure she is with you in spirit and always will be in your heart.

Wishing you a pain free day!
  • Becca~
    Welcome to the forum... I'm so glad that you found your way here. I have to believe that God brought you here to be a blessing to us and hope that you are blessed also.
    I'm so sorry that you had such a horrible accident and long recovery, but glad that you are able to walk again. Chronic pain is one of the devil's favorite things to put on people, in my opinion. He sucks! But, we keep marching on, trying to make it from one day to the next. I was so touched by the loving way you spoke of your mom and am so sad that you lost her. There is NOTHING like a mother's touch, NOTHING. I'm so glad that you got to spend that special time with her. I too lost my mom about four years ago and like your mom, she was such a nurturer. She took such good care of me and was always there to lend a hand with my kids or dinner, laundry, anything that I needed. I'm not sure why she had to be taken from me, but I have to believe that God needed her more than me... that would have to be a lot! I miss her so much! Please, if you ever need someone to lean on, contact me anytime.
  • Hi Lyssa, Wow to be so young and go through a difficult surgery must be difficult. If you need an ear or shoulder let me know. Thanks for welcoming me.
  • Thanks so much for such a great welcome. I hope that if I can ever be of any help to any of you please contact me. Everyone here seems so nice I can't wait to get to know you all better.