Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacroiliac joint belt

I injured my back in 2007 at work. I'm an RN, didn't realize how serious MY injury was. A year later, I started having right hip pain. It was mostly at night in bed and I was prescribed Ibuprofen 800mg. I continued to work everyday,would often tell the MDS that it seemed to be worse around my cycle. Puzzled, we progressed to lumbar epidurals which did help tremendously with the hip pain.MRI's showed minimal damage, small annular tear. I became alarmed when the shots no longer worked. My pain doc was out of options,started me on Gabapentin. Worked great for several months, then suddenly stopped working. I re injured the back September 2014 turning a patient.

I was placed on light duty at work,2 weeks later, my right leg started dragging. Two weeks later, I developed a limp. My walk looks like cerebral palsy, I was baffled. I went through a battery of tests including a lumbar puncture. NORMAL. They found hypothyroidism and hashimoto's disease. Oh, and a pineal cyst with the small annular tear. Pain was getting more horrific at night, numbing, dull and worse on my back, especially during my cycle. I can only sleep on stomach. A cane tripped me up, my job gave me a walker. My doctor took me off work because they didn't understand what was happening and it was happening fast. I have a wheelchair in my trunk for large areas like Walmart,etc.
Some days I can barely walk, mostly a weird limping gait. Several more months passed, neurologist told me he thought it was in my head and asked me if I had sexual trauma. My workers comp MD suspected ALS and put in my records. Walking distances is out of the question.I participated in therapy with a Workers comp mill who weren't really trying to get me better, found out they got paid a nice sum every time I came...3 times a week. I was referred finally to a different MD whom suggested sacroiliac joint problems. A month later, he gave me a flouroscopy guided injection. I walked completely normal for about 4 days. It was like Cinderella and the carriage turning back into a pumpkin. He tried again one month later. Exact same results. I also noticed sitting was just as bad. Found myself not able to eat meals at the table for long, or me wanting to lay down to get comfortable, or laying across the bed on my stomach to read.

I was referred to a new physical therapist that took excellent care and interest in my situation. It was bizarre,but week after week, we tried different things. I stumbled on a you tube video regarding sacroiliac joint dysfunction. I shared with them and the more we realized that maybe I really did have this condition. He rigged up a belt and tightened it around my hips. We took videos throughout my ordeal, but I was skeptical about the belt. I begged my doctor to order the belt, he was also skeptical. He referred me to another neurologist. They found out I had posterior tibial neuropathy, as well. I finally ordered the belt on my own just to see if it could help. Its been 3 weeks,it has worked like a charm. Even after I take it off, I walk really good for a while. Stay tuned, as this is very promising. It's open enrollment and I'm able to change to a doctor in Atl that specializes in this. I just want others to know how effective this little belt can be for sacroiliac joint dysfunction.

• That sounds awesome. I'm glad the belt is working for you.

Could you tell me what this belt is and where you got it. You might have to PM me. I would really appreciate the info. I have this problem, as well.

I hope you continue to improve.
    Scoliosis and other problems at every level.

2013: C-5 to C-6 ADR
    2014: C-5 to C-6 fusion/revision of failed ADR
    2014: Total hip replacement, right

Cancelled multi-level fusion - fear being more crippled and in more pain.
  • How about an update on the belt? A picture of it would be great?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

John Adams
  • I have been through so many doctors and each have written me off. They have not said that it was all in my head per se but they have said that there is nothing that they can do for me. My primary care physician has been wonderful and she has ordered the brace for me, and I wore it for a week. I was worse than before I had it. Especially when I took it off. 
    It was horrible and so painful. It's sad that I was better without it,  and that isn't saying much. I'm at my wits end. 
    Wendy Reed
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 483
    edited 07/02/2016 - 2:29 PM
    One of my PT places I've been to this past spring let me try a belt she called a SI belt. It comes in different sizes, and is also adjustable by Velcro. She was just curious if it would help, trying to figure out why I was having problems walking. She said if it started to feel worse, to discontinue wearing it (she let me take it home for the weekend). 

I had to stop at a store on the way home, so I put it back on (I couldn't wear it driving, it was causing more pain). Every time you sit or take it off it has to be readjusted, like starting all over putting it on. You can't just leave the ends of belt in the same place, and just readjust the front again.

It's like a wide belt that lays over sacrum area, you secure it around the front of you by wide Velcro, then you have to adjust on both sides with other wide Velcro sections on the belt, but it requires you to pull belt flaps back with arm strength, and lay the ends of belt upon Velcro sections in that part of belt, which for me was at the sides of my hips. I have rotar cuff tendenitis, so that part was rather difficult for me to do.

I could only tolerate to wear the belt for 15-20 minutes. The pain in tailbone and back intensified immensely. I have also had a SI joint injection before, which didn't help either. So the PT there figured it wasn't a SI joint issue.