Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg pain and lump

MelcorMMelcor Posts: 85
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
As most of you know I just had a posterior min invasive l4-s1 fusion on 7/8. Immdiately when I woke up my right leg was in unbearable pain- you could not even touch it. My left leg hurt as well but not that bad. Oh, and I also had a lump on my rt leg. My leg pain never gets better- I leave on Lyrica (sp?) this causes me to hev blurry vision so I get off almost right away. I have been walking quite a bit- even with the leg pain, up and around the house, outside etc... I even have stairs to my bedroom which I do several times daily (usually causes me a ton of pain in my legs) The raised potty seat even hurts me- sometimes I am in so much pain from my legs I cannot get off myself.

BTW- I spokw with my doc on thurs to ask about the leg pain and did he think it was a clot, he said no.

Today, I cannot even bend my leg barely 45 degrees and the lump is still there. I can barely walk. The pain and lump has been in my thigh- the pain is not going below and into the knee too. It is visably noticable my husband says.

So, do you think that this is just nerve pain? I mean my left leg is still hurting as well.

(not looking for med advise just toughts :) Sorry for the long post!

• Hi Mel, I would without a doubt be going to see the GP or what I think you call the PCP. Even if it is just a muscle spasm it is better to have it checked out, especially if the lump is visable.

Have you tried heat? I love heat pads for muscle pain and for me it makes a big difference. If you havn't tried it give it a whirl but I think it really is worth a trip to the Doc.

Blessings Sara
  • sounds to me that you have a severe knot.I would alternate heat and ice and seek a p.t. for a localized massage.
  • It cant be just nerve pain if there's a visible lump on your leg.I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I'd make an appointment with your doctor and show him especially when youre in that much pain.

Christina :)
  • A lot would depend on a few factors regarding the "lump" and your overall health to say what could be causing your pain. Do you have a fever? If so it could be a sign of infection. How large is the lump? The size of a pea or the size of a quarter? Does the lump move under your skin, can you roll skin over it and feel that its on top of the muscle? Is the lump hard, soft, or feel like its a muscle or fluid filled. Where exactly is the lump located? Near the groin could be lymph nodes, mildy swollen from surgery or grosely swollen from infection nearby. Is the lump/pain in the back of the leg? Wondering because the hamstrings flex the knee, but whether you're sitting/standing/laying when you cant bend your knee more than 45 degrees would all be different factors. Is there any inflammation at the site of the lump? Redness, hot to touch, or burning. The iliospoas or iliacus muscles could even be causing the pain, its hard to determine without more info. Regardless, if the problem is not improving...there is something wrong. And if your doctor cannot help you, get a second opinion and find a doctor that can.
  • If you look at the date on the original post, this thread is 2.5 years old and has been inactive ever since.