Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Life after Revision PLIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am new here. I need some advice please. I have had back problems since I was 12. I have DDD, Spondy grade 1, bilateral pars fractures, treated initially with S1/L5 fusion and dynesis (sp?) - had non union of fusion and then revison surgery L4/L5 fusion and hardwear changed to pedicle screws and rods. Nothing done to non-union. I am 6 months post second op and still in massive amounts of pain. The second surgery resolved some foot pain (but it was not too bad anyway) and some nerve irritaion. Other pain in my back seems worse now, slowly. Legs go numb and I had bladder weakness too a few weeks ago although that is ok now. My pain is present all the time, barely covered my a cocktail of pain meds. Sometimes it is so bad, well if you've had it bad you know!!
I don't want any more surgery, but where do I go from here? They say give it time, its early days yet, but 6 months post op I should be better than this, surely? Your experiences would be good. I realise many folk get better and that only ppl looking for answers are on the boards! Thanks.

• Hi, Great name by the way!

The only thing I can ask is are you doing too much??? Are you doing your core exercises to strengthen your abs?

I am only 10 weeks out with a 4 level fusion so I cant compare and dont know anyone who has had a revision. Sorry.

Keep a diary of what you are doing, what you are taking and how you are feeling. See if there is a pattern at all. EWven I have discovered that certain chairs can feel good at the time but later cause problems.
    The only way to work this out is to be vigulat about keeping a diary. BORING I KNOW! }:)

Blessings to you

• Hi Sara,
    I'm doing that already, bless you. No I don't think I am doing too much, I can sit for no more than 10 mins on a hard chair only, yes to my abs (!!) do we ever stop them?! and not doing anything round house apart from washing dressing. I am good with my triggers and have a delayed pain response so I am really careful. When I don't take my meds the pain is so bad I can barely move...when i take meds I can move a little better ROM - perhaps this is the problem. I asked my PT but she didn't know the answer. Says "You can't do yourself damage" still, keep plodding .